Love, Suicide, and a Steampunk Fairy Twist - May Reading Wrap Up

June has now arrived and I am left wondering where this year has decided to go to. May was a productive month for reading. Heart warming, gut wrenching, and the occasional scare provides for a good month of books. Let's get started on what I read this month.


If you are new to my monthly wrap ups, here is some terminology to help you throughout this post:
PSRC: Popsugar Reading Challenge
DIRC: Disney Inspired Reading Challenge (Created by A Girl From Alabama)
-You can find the post for her challenges here and here



Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Me Before You
Jojo Moyes
Fiction, Contemporary, Romance

PSRC: A New York Times bestseller
DIRC: ---

Why I picked it up: I finally got it at a cheaper price!
What drew me to this book: Like most, after watching the trailer, I just had to read the book.

Rating: 5/5
This book made me feel all of the feelings, which is exactly what I was expecting. A life-changing accident brings about the spinal cord injury that costs Will the use of his body. Lou loses her job and finds herself in need of income to keep her family afloat. After seeing the movie trailer, I had to get my hands on this book. It took me a few months, but it came at the perfect time. At times, I found that I couldn't put the book down. It is a story of growing up, and a story of finding yourself all while putting someone else first. It has lines that I love and wrote down to keep. Even though my emotions were all over the place, I am sure this will be a book that I pick up again in a few years.
Spoilers/Discussions: We start this book knowing there is a time clock, that Will wants to die on his own terms. He refuses to live his life in a chair after the life he was leading to begin with. Lou is hired to change his mind. You know there will be love, and even as you read it, you hope beyond hope that she can change his mind; however, she doesn't. He still goes off to Switzerland to die. I wanted to throw the book. It felt so selfish, yet I completely understood the whole time. This really got me to thinking just what I would do if I was given 117 days to convince my fiance to live. I wasn't a huge for how her family treated Lou in the beginning.
"It could be oddly dispiriting, the blank refusal of humankind to even attempt to function responsibly." -Camilla Traynor
"It is simple," he said. "The thing is, it's also a lot of hard work. And people don't want to put in a lot of work" -Will Traynor
Last Dance by Lurlene McDanielLast Dance
Lurlene McDaniel
YA, Fiction, Health/Illness

PSRC: ---
DIRC: Overview: Walt Disney World - A book that takes place in Florida

Why I picked it up: It was recommended to me due to it dealing with a young girl being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and her struggle to find her life after diagnosis.
What drew me to this book: Type 1 Diabetic character

Rating: 4/5
The rating truly reflects the meaning of what this book showed me. I wasn't that thrilled with the over storyline; however, the book really gave me a look into what my daughters are facing having being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I am hoping to take inspiration from this book going forward on how I can encourage them and help them to live their lives outside of just managing their illness.
Spoilers/Discussions: ---
"She needs you to have confidence in her..."

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen
Classic, Fiction, Romance

PSRC: A book at least 100 years older than you
DIRC: Peter  Pan - A book that features jealousy

Why I picked it up: Long overdue and my boyfriends favorite
What drew me to this book: Everyone and their whole family has read it

Rating: 4/5
It is a daunting task when you are reading a book that is known and loved by many, heavily quoted, and has several movie adaptations. You can add a whole new level of pressure when it is your boyfriends favorite book. I feel like it took me forever to read it, not because it wasn't intriguing and lovely, but because the language and the way it was written. I won't lie, it is beautifully written; however, it was hard for me to just sit and read and devour. I would find myself getting lost and mixed up easily. The love in this book feels so real and even though it was written so long ago, it is something that we can still relate to today.
Spoilers/Discussions: I found Mr. Collins to be so infuriating that I wanted to scream. Even towards the end, I did not find him to be the least bit agreeable. Mr. Darcy is the perfect example of how love can change a person. It is a reminder that background, family, money, looks... it doesn't always match perfectly. Sometimes you start with such despise for each other you never really notice when the attraction starts.
"We all love to instruct, though we can teach only what is not worth knowing." - Elizabeth Bennet
Beauty and the Clockwork Beast
A. B. Keuser
Steampunk, Fairy Tales, Romance

PSRC: A book based on a fairytale
DIRC: ---

Why I picked it up: It is a Beauty and the Beast retelling
What drew me to this book: The steampunk aspect that is introduced

Rating: 5/5
It is Beauty and the Beast, of course I am going to love it! I really enjoyed this rendition and what this author brings to this story. The ending was very satisfying. It was a gripping retelling with the traditional characters and elements; however, it was unique in how the story came together and how some parts came about.
Spoilers/Discussions: Be still my heart!!! Their bond and the pull towards each other even when they want to despise each other is so captivating! And don't even get me started on her reason for going in the library and how that turns into her reading to all of the orphans. It only seems fitting that she has what she needs to break the binding and rescue them all. The orphans are still orphans though. My heart was so happy with this book.
"You deserve a man who would do anything to keep you safe, who would tempt fate and wrath of a dark fairy to send you home." - Isabelle
The Wall by Jen Minkman
The Wall
Jen Minkman
Young Adult

PSRC: A book that takes place on an island
DIRC: --

Why I picked it up: Hunter wanted to read this together
What drew me to this book: It had a very intriguing concept

Rating: 5/5
I was immediately sucked into this book. I started reading this book after reading to everyone as they took a nap. I didn't think I would get that far before I fell asleep myself; however, I was gripped by the imagery and the context of this novel. The book itself really made me question some concepts. The way that the belief system is set up on either side of the wall seems to be the extremes, yet they also have modern references to current religions as well. At one point in this book I actually look at my kindle with a shocked face and said "plot twist."
Spoilers/Discussions: I was intrigued by the use of "the book" and "Annabelle the Goddess." it felt very much like a look at Christianity and Wiccan religion. The separation created by the wall left me wondering. Does having separation from something, like the wall on the island, cause more curiosity for the other side or security for the safety in which it provides? The Star Wars feel and references were not lost on me, even though I have not seen the movies.
"I also know that you're scared of the world. You can't fight that kind of fear with swords. You can't eradicate it by killing people or bullying them into submission, no matter how hard you try." - Tony
Boxcar Books I Read to My Family
The Mystery at Skeleton Point
The Vampire Mystery

What I Am Currently Reading:
The Last Time We Say Goodbye

Overall, I am very pleased with the selection of books for this month. There have been a few reading slump feelings here and there; however, I am hoping to keep all those away in the coming months. What is an emotional read that has really pulled at your heart this year? I would love to hear what you are currently reading and what you would recommend to me. Have anything that you are looking forward to reading this summer? Leave them down below!

No comments