Favorite Books of 2017

Hey, fellow bookworms! If you are anything like me, you like to reflect on your reading year to see what you enjoyed and what you didn't. I know 2017 was a year full of trying out new books and finding new favorites. Here is my list of the top 17 books from 2017:



My top books. How did I pick them? Not only will I explain why, but I can say overall they are books that impressed me, stuck with me, or had an interesting principle to them. Not all of these were five-star books, but for one reason or another, they made my list of favorites for the year.


I was immediately intrigued by the context of this book. A backstory for the Queen of Hearts... I will just hold my hands out for you to give it to me now. More than that it is inspiring and meaningful. For me, it held even more depth knowing and watching the author, with her family, on Youtube. It was truly a delightful read.


Outlander was a slow burn read that I took my time with. The detail and imagery that went into this book are amazing. Even though it was slow and I had to push myself to get through at times, I would find myself immersed in it and falling even more for the characters.


The story and the writing were very unique for this book. It isn't something that I would have dared to pick up on my own, but the person that suggested it to me really enjoyed it. It was rich in beautiful emotions from heartbreak to healing to the love of a family and friendship. One thing that stood out to me was how dynamic and down to earth, even flawed if you will, the characters are within the story.


Let's be honest, the whole Royals series... I devoured this series. The story is addicting and you can't help but get sucked into the drama. It is like watching a soap opera, always waiting for the next thing to happen. It may not be the best writing or the most groundbreaking read, but it is entertaining.


Call me morbid, but once I discovered her Youtube channel, I was fascinated by all the information and detail that she shared. Her sense of humor also shines through with the book; however, the most important thing is how she brings you into an industry that is open to the public attention for a plethora of reasons. It really opened my eyes to death and mortality, prompting me to dig deeper into the options for my burial.


Recommended by a friend, it didn't fail to capture my heart. I spent hours explaining and talking about this book with my mother. I loved the story and the intricacies that were weaved together to create this book. This book has really stayed with me through the year.


Steampunk isn't my usual when I reach for something to read; however, after hearing a lot about it from a favorite Youtuber of mine, I had to pick it up. I was utterly captivated by the story. There was action among the frills and tea blended perfectly with the supernatural. It was a phenomenal read for me.


The first in this series, so-so. This one blew me away. The relationships, the bonds, the imagery. It was all breathtaking. There was vibrant detail woven into the settings and the characters that really brought everything to life. I enjoyed the inclusion of dark days and troubled times. It built magnificently upon the previous book.


High praise for making this book with short chapters. Short chapters suck me in and keep me going. This book makes this list for how real it felt. I felt like I was right there within the stories, watching what was unfolding in detail. It dealt with difficult topics and handled them well. It really shows the aftermath and the causes simultaneously together.


What pulled me in was the idea of the serial killer. It was unique and intriguing; however, this is one of the ones that make the list for principle. I felt it wasn't executed as well as I had hoped, but there were parts and ideas that made the story memorable for me.


This book started a journey for me and my best friend, one that we continue to bond over: male-male romance novels. The detail and story were vivid and real. It portrays a type of relationship I haven't had much exposure to. Even though there are detailed sex scenes, there is still a story in the book as well.


Another book from Ask A Mortician, and another one on my favorites list for 2017. I am constantly captivated by her writing and what she brings to the table. Being able to see the death practices of so many cultures from around the world was fascinating and educational.


I had been wanting to read this book ever since it came out, so I devoured it. I loved the gruesome detail, but most of all I loved that it kept me guessing. My best friend on the other hand seen it coming a mile away. I found the spin on the story to be well done as well. It represented the female presence in a work field not usually carried by a woman, especially during that time, very well. Morbidly fascinating and I cannot wait to see what else comes of this series.


Another in a long line of historical books for me this year, but I enjoyed this one. It was a learning experience to see things that weren't taught to me in school. Yes, I am aware this is a fictional story; however, it is rooted in fact. It has encouraged me to look at history differently. It was also a very emotionally charged read - fear, anxiety, disgust, relief, all wrapped into one book.


Although it was a beautiful and heart-wrenching story, the reason I couldn't exclude this book is due to a character. The narrator, death or the grim reaper, captured my heart. It was his depth and humor that propelled me through this story. Once again I have fallen for death... great.


If a book could make this list only for ripping my heart out, this is it. It is a heart-wrenching story. I cried for hours over this book. At first, I didn't really care much, I wasn't attached. The ending is what made this book. I found it interesting how this relayed the thoughts of animals and made me wonder what my animals are saying in their own way. If only animals could talk.


Laini Taylor has a lyrical writing style that pulls you in. With exquisite imagery and detail, the focus is on building a world that you can clearly see and want to immerse yourself in. There are moments of revelation in this book, like who what we see or what we are taught, may not always be the only way. It was rich and complex.

There is my list! I hope that you enjoyed coming along on this journey with me. What were some of your favorite books of 2017? If you have read any of these, leave a comment below so we can talk about them.

No comments