Currently Reading - November 2018

Hello darlings!! Welcome to December! This year is quickly wrapping up and I am not sure how I feel about that. I hope that this month will hold many exciting things for the future in many areas of life. So let's get to the books I read in November!



November Book Stats

Reading Goals: Start NEWTs and participate in Tome Topple

Number of Books Read:

Star Ratings:               Number of Pages:               Genres:
-5                                             -318                                                      -Fantasy
-0                                             -912                                                      -Historical Fiction, Romance
-5                                             -186                                                      -Young Adult, Contemporary
-5                                             -288                                                      -Christmas, Romance
-5                                             -527                                                      -Young Adult, Fantasy
-5                                             -340                                                      -Romance, M/M
-2                                             -152                                                      -Romance, Menage
-4                                             -641                                                      -Mystery, Thriller

DNF: The Black Witch by Laurie Frost

Month in Review:

The Dark Calling - Here we go again. I have a history with this series. A history that involves screaming, crying, throwing books, and cornering members of my family to talk about these books. So why do I continuously put myself through reading another one? They make me feel emotions like no other book. It is honestly my first pick when it comes to suggesting a love triangle. I am thoroughly invested in these characters at this point. The overall plot and story that is woven within this series is something very unique from anything I have read. I am waiting, not so patiently, for what is supposed to be the last in the series. I just hope my ship survives.

The Bronze Horseman - Yes, you are seeing that rating right. I refuse to give it a rating. I suffered through around half of the book before giving up on it; however, after a few weeks, I decided to go back and finish it to see if it redeemed itself in the slightest. The answer to that is no. I just couldn't get behind the things that happen in this book. The plot, the characters, everything was insufferable and intolerant. I could continue on for some time about every aspect that I disliked, but I see that as a waste of my time. This is what I will say: many call this a love story, if this is what love was defined as for me I would have given up on the self-centered, controlling, and vile excuse for love that this story writes many years ago.

Stargirl - From the moment Stargirl arrives in the story, it is obvious there is something special about her; however, I didn't expect it to hit so close to home. I want my children to read this book. I truly believe it shows a gloriously important lesson about conformity, not just in ourselves, but in others as well. I saw so much of one of my little girls in this story that it broke my heart and made it whole again. It made me realize just how pure she is and maybe this world isn't mean to understand her. It is a touching story and I am glad I decided to pick it up on a whim.

Merry and Bright - It is that time of year again... the time of year when Hallmark starts playing all the movies and I want to read more and more Christmas romance novels (guilty pleasure reads for me). This is no exception. I have really come to associate Debbie Macomber and her Hallmark style Christmas romance. This one especially warmed my heart. I loved the character development of Jay and Jason. Focusing on an online connection throughout the story gave it a different perspective. I loved Merry's brother, Patrick. The inclusion of his character with everyone else in the story was really heartwarming. Macomber is quickly becoming a go-to for me.

Dragon Rider - I will admit, when I originally added this to my TBR and requested it I didn't recognize the author's name; however, now I know he is well known for his children/young adult fantasy writing. This book was nothing short of magical and fantastic. I enjoyed listening to the audiobook even more, but that must be because of the narrator. He has a voice for each character complete with accents and sound effects as well. The story itself was rich with details, imagery, and fantasy elements. It was also grounded and set among our world, so the scenery is something we have all seen: the streets of a busy city, land be developed and changed, the Himalayan Mountains. It was a wonderful story of coming together to overcome and I can't wait to read this to my children.

Before You Break - This is another M/M romance that my bestie has been on me to read since the start of our journey into the genre. It took me some time and a sale to swing back to read it; however, I am truly glad that I did. It was a gut-wrenching slow burn romance that really pulled me under. The difficulties that they face are heartbreaking and one I won't forget. Yes, there were some good steamy scenes, but it was the characters and their development that made me fall for this story so hard.

Three Dirty Harts - First, I want to say this covers a very taboo subject matter that I do not recommend for everyone. It is part of why I gave it two stars. I read it, it was okay; however, the more I think about how things happened within the story the more I don't care for how it went down. It was really short so you don't really have a basis for getting attached to their characters. It makes the contents of the plot harder to swallow as it is happening. If you want something quick and the subject matter doesn't bother you, roll with it.

The Good Daughter - Karin Slaughter is known for her gruesome detail and this is no different. It wasn't as captivating to me as Pretty Girls that I listened to earlier this year; however, I still found myself not wanting to stop listening to it. One of the things I like about her novels is that I don't tend to figure out what is going on early on like I do with a lot of mystery. She is a master at plot twists that you don't see coming. I want to continue my trend of reading more by her. I think she is quickly moving up the list of go-to author in this genre.

My reading kinda tapered off towards the end of the month. I didn't finish the arc I was reading for Tome Topple... I didn't get to any of the other arcs I wanted to get to this month... Yes, I read several things, but it still doesn't feel like my greatest reading month. I am already working on tweaks for this monthly blog series for next year, so if you have any suggestions or things you would like to see, leave those comments and suggestions down below. What book are you most looking forward to going into the Christmas season?

*Please note, this post is not recommended for mobile viewing due to formatting. I am sorry for any inconvenience.
**This post may contain thoughts on books that I have read complimentary of NetGalley.com or directly from publishers. All opinions and reviews are my own. Books were requested in an exchange for an honest review. No reviews are sponsored or solicited by the company, publisher, or author.

No comments