Currently Reading - January 2019

Hello, darlings! I cannot believe we are already a month into the new year. There are so many things I had planned to post about and then didn't. For that I am sorry. Reading even started off poorly for me this year; however, I did get a few things finished. Let's get started!



January Currently Reading

Reading Goals: Catch up on ARCs (I was behind for two releases.)

Number of Books Read: 3

Average Rating: 3.5

Total Page Count: 1,690 

DNF: 1


Seeking women ages 18–32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed.
Jessica Farris tricks her way into a psychological study on morality conducted by Dr. Shields. As the questions become more and more intense, Jessica wonders if the prompter can read into her thoughts. That is about all I can give you synopsis-wise. It is an intriguing premise; however, it also becomes my first DNF of the year. It took me weeks to get 45% of the way into it before I just couldn't anymore. The development wasn't there and I kept finding myself waiting for something, anything, to happen that would make even the slightest bit of suspense. I have seen many many raving reviews for this, but it seems I am in the small group of people that just didn't see the hype. Intriguing premise (which is why I requested it from NetGalley), but it lacked execution.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer 
“I decided as long as I was going to hell, I might as well do it thoroughly.”
Let's be honest, just about everyone knows this book; however, for the sake of things I will give a description. Bella, having moved back to Forks a town she never liked, is faced with a new school, new friends, a new beginning. Then, she notices them. The Cullens. No one knows much about them, and they stay to themselves. Her clumsiness soon puts her in close contact with Edward, and the story begins there. This is a reread for me. I thoroughly loved reading this again with my besties, Hunter and Ridge. It was nostalgic to read the pages again. No matter what others say, I still love this series.

Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
I don't feel comfortable having a description of this book since it is the second in the series, but I am going to give my thoughts. (This will be the same for any subsequent books in a series.) This has always been my least favorite in the series. My first time reading it I was so very angry, and this is one of the very few books I have physically thrown across the room; however, reading it now I didn't have as strong of a reaction to it. If anything, I can say that I enjoyed it more this time around than I have any of the previous times I have read it. I wasn't expecting that. I feel like I relate more to this now and understand it.

Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer 
"Look after my heart - I've left it with you."
The progression of this story is obvious in the quote mentioned above; however, I am trying to give away as little spoilers as possible. I had forgotten a lot of what happens in Eclipse. I have the standard moments that no one forgets, but other minute details of foreshadowing are more and more clue to me the more that I read this series. I am still really enjoying the process and you can look for Breaking Dawn to be my first completed book of next month.

Month in Review: Overall thoughts on reading and the books I read
My January started off horribly for reading. I had several ARCs I needed to complete, one of which I DNFed and the others I have ignored. It took me over half way into the month to really want to read and I think that was only because one of my best friends asked me to reread this series with her. Twilight has always carried a special place in my reading heart. Do I acknowledge the issues (especially now), yes, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the nostalgia of reading them for the first time. It was a slow reading month; however, I am hoping that I will start reading more next month. I can't ignore the ARCs forever.

How was your month in reading?

**This post may contain thoughts on books that I have read complimentary of NetGalley.com or directly from publishers. All opinions and reviews are my own. Books were requested in an exchange for an honest review. No reviews are sponsored or solicited by the company, publisher, or author unless otherwise disclosed.

No comments