Currently Reading - March 2019

Hello, Lovelies!! It has been too long! March finally ended with me actually finishing a book. I can't tell you how many I started in February and just didn't follow through. This reading slump is knocking me out! Let's see what I did get to read in the month of March.


Month Currently Reading

Reading Goals: Finish something, anything!

Number of Books Read: 3

Average Rating: 3.2

Total Page Count: 748

DNF: 0



One year to be a mermaid. That is all Tara is asking of her very conservative mother. All she wants is to live her dream of being a mermaid before more college and adult life. Performing professionally was all going well for her until suddenly, she can hear a call for help from a dolphin. Confused and still having to perform while she heard his cries, she wasn't prepared for what would happen that night as Finn comes to rescue the dolphin back to the ocean. - More 2.5 stars. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't really exceptional either. I really wanted to love this. It was an easy read, but I just wasn’t that invested. I found myself speed reading the last 25%. The insta-love thing was a little much for me and that wasn’t the only issue I found. There wasn’t a lot of depth or backstory to the characters that would have made it more substantial. I found myself not really caring about what happened. As I finished I found it to end exactly how I expected it to.

"Perhaps you would like to try a session," Professor Charlton suggested. "It might help you suppress your tendency to be an anally retentive control freak."
Read for Your Life is the story of a writer that goes around asking others to read a story from his book. The premise of the book is that a young couple became trapped at an inn on their wedding night and was required to read and give their opinion of the novel to the owner/writer. This was truly one of the oddest and weirdest things I have ever read. It was easy to get through, but it was strange and a little disjointed at times. It was more of a 3.5 star read for me, but I still enjoyed it. The book has a very gothic feel and overtone to the whole book. It was a mix of narrative and short stories like an anthology. It is the perfect read for a quick read or something to supplement before bedtime like I did.

"Because he was human, a part of him wanted to turn around and leave now, before it was too late. Because he had a duty, he moved forward, knowing that what he was about to see would change him. The dead always did that."
The unthinkable has happened, a boy has been brutally murder, his mother barely escapes with her life. As the truth begins to unravel, and more children go missing, is the town looking for a sinister suspect targeting children? Annie Broussard and Nick Fourcade are in the center of the investigation as things unfold piece by piece. I want to start by saying Tami Hoag is one of my favorite authors, so when NetGalley approved my ARC request, I was over the moon excited to get to read this. What started with excitement; however, quickly turned to disappointment. Overall, I would give it 3.5 stars. It would have been more, but I discovered who was at fault about 15% into the book. From that point, I really struggled to complete it even though unraveling how and why was still intriguing. Hoag is known for her detail, even gruesome detail, which is what has always drawn me to her work. I enjoyed the characters even though I didn't have the investment of the first in the series. I really enjoyed that balance of good, bad, and morally gray characters that she throws into the mix. The twists and turns along the way weren't something I would have seen coming even though I did figure out who early on. I am hoping to go back and read the first and to continue with the series as more come out. I highly suggest her Oak Knoll series, which is the series that started my love for this author in the first place.

Month in Review: 
I really struggled to get back into reading again this month. I am not sure what has caused this hiccup in my reading; however, I am determined to fix it. Overall it was just an average reading month. There was a little disappointment going on and that made it even more difficult to want to read. The beginning of April marks the official beginning of the Magical Readathon (OWLs); however, I had a few extra days headstart thanks to the Charms Readathon last year. I am hoping my reading picks up with this readathon.

How was your month in reading? Did you have any stand out favorites from the month? If you would like to see a TBR post on the OWLs Readathon, just let me know and I will get that posted!


**This post may contain thoughts on books that I have read complimentary of NetGalley.com or directly from publishers. All opinions and reviews are my own. Books were requested in an exchange for an honest review. No reviews are sponsored or solicited by the company, publisher, or author unless otherwise disclosed.

No comments