Currently Reading - April 2019

Hello, lovely bookworms!! April felt like it was just a blink, but I feel like I finally made some progress with reading. That was mostly because of the OWLs Readathon! If you didn't catch my previous post, I will link it here. All the books I am going to talk about today are for that readathon so you can pop on over there to see which books go to which challenge.



Month Currently Reading

Reading Goals: Complete the OWLs Readathon

Number of Books Read: 8

Average Rating: 3.77

Total Page Count: 2,745

DNF: Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell


"Perhaps she was just too tired, or perhaps fate laid out your life for you like a dress on a bed and you could either wear it or go naked."
*These are books two and three in the series, so I am going to combine them here and provide the description of the first book here as to not spoil anything.

Growing up, Brimstone and the others was the only family she knew. Moving from place to place and never getting too close to others was just a way of life. Within her art lies her biggest secrets, the world everyone called whimsical fantasy; however, what they didn't know was that chimeras were real. The monsters in her sketchbook are her family, and as the black hands start to show up on the doors to their world Karou doesn't understand the danger until it is too late. Stopping at nothing to find the truth and to save the ones who raised her, Akiva, the angel that is somehow tied to her knows the answers to who she is or better yet what she is. It had been some time since I read the first one, so it took me a little time to get back into it; however, then I was hooked all over again. There isn't a whole lot I can say without giving unnecessary spoilers, but I will say that the angst and intricate detail is stunning in this series. For me, Laini Taylor has a writing style that is fluid and poetic in nature. The series is more fantasy than I typically read. I find I just have to let it take me wherever it is trying to lead. After reading the second, I automatically changed one of my OWLs prompts so that I could include the third one. The audiobook narration is amazing, and I highly recommend it! By the end of it, I was so emotionally invested I couldn't put it down.

Unashamed: A Coming-Out Guide for LGBTQ Christians by Amber Cantorna 
“We each should embrace who we are to the fullest, ground ourselves in our identity, and boldly display it to the world around us”
Amber Cantorna experienced what it was like to lose herself, her family, and her religion when she came out as gay. It became important to her to listen to and help others going through similar situations. Questions continually pour in for her about how to come out, how to deal with the emotions that come along with it, and many more. This is a guide for LGBTQ Christians with advice on coming out, processing through the emotions, and ideas on how to handle the coming changes. I want to preface this by saying I went into this as an ally and friend to several very dear to me LGBTQ friends that are more like family to me. I really found this helpful to see more about struggles, confrontations, and overall discrimination that they face daily. At the end of each chapter, she includes a section for family and allies to LGBTQ people that are going through the topics discussed in the chapter. I found this very helpful. I only had one issue while reading it, and that was late in the book where she took scripture and put it into her own words. That is just a personal preference thing. I wasn't expecting the last chapter to be as hard-hitting and personal for me, but it was my favorite chapter in the book. The book as a whole will be one that I continue to recommend to others, whether in the community or family and allies of others. Thank you, Tim, for bringing this book to my attention, and thank you NetGalley for giving me the chance to read it.

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb  
ONE OF SIX “It looks hand printed,” she said to Feeney and held it out. “Our boy’s more than clever, more than arrogant. And he isn’t finished.”
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is coming off of a termination (on the job shooting resulting in the suspect's death) when she gets the call of a high priority case. The granddaughter of a senator has been found dead. As she investigates, she finds an eerie message "ONE OF SIX" that suggests he is just getting started. Her prime suspect also holds a pull towards him that even she is having a hard time denying, but Roarke is just as intrigued by her. Years ago, a picked up two books from this series and loved them. I have always wanted to go back to the beginning. I will say, having done that spoils something major, so I don't recommend that approach; however, even with that spoiled I truly enjoyed the ride. It kept me guess and leaving me clutching my pearls to know what will happen next. Towards the end, there were a few moments that was so fast paced that it felt like there were pieces missing from it though. Overall, it was a great read. Maybe I will eventually read them all, but with 47 (last I checked) and counting, that is a lot to get caught up on.

2nd Chance by James Patterson 

Linsay Boxer is coming off the scare of an often fatal blood diagnosis. After coming face to face with a mad man as she solved a murder thanks to her friends, she never expected she would be doing it a second time. Seemingly unrelated deaths are causing a stir, but Boxer has a hunch that they aren't as unrelated as people think. As she pieces the puzzle of the murders together, she finds herself needing the women's murder club, her closest friends, and the strength to face the demons of her past. I first found this series thanks to 1st to Die in movie form on Lifetime many many years ago. I have read several from the series and when I had the chance to read this one, I took it. It was a decent read. I still like the series and the twist. I had a few minor issues. I often felt like Patterson was floundering on how to include the things he knew about the story he was telling, so it often leads to Boxer having "hunches" that just don't seem logical or fitting. It hit the basic needs for a murder mystery, but I just wasn't as impressed with it as I would have been as a teen.

Red, White & Royal Blue 
“But the truth is, also, simply this: love is indomitable."
Being the First Son of the President of the United States, especially when she is your mother, isn't the easiest; however, Alex is determined to make the best of it. With big dreams for politics and taking Congress by storm, he often forgets other things ahead, like the wedding for the Prince of Whales which means seeing his arch nemesis. Henry has never been his favorite person, but could a friendship blossom when they are forced to spend time together? What happens when it is more than friendship and the world cannot find out? Set against the backdrop of his mothers run for reelection, Alex has to be cautious of what the public sees or he could ruin everything. Y'ALL!! This book was amazing. I couldn't help but get sucked in and fall for the characters. This mixed matched group and the international flare, ugh I die! Maybe I have a soft spot for hate-to-love romances, but this was just done so brilliantly. The detail and immersion into the story are so well done. Of course, there are flaws, but I honestly couldn't even point them out with as much as I enjoyed it. Even the side characters are brought to life brilliantly. Even though it wrapped up, is it selfish to hope for more? Hands down one of my favorite books this year. It has all these elements that I love: hate-to-love romance, British, LGBTQ+ characters, and more. The storyline was amazing, even though political intrigue isn't usually my thing.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris ★ 
“When her muzzle grew more white than brown, the chipmunk forgot that she and the squirrel had had nothing to talk about. She forgot the definition of "jazz" as well and came to think of it as every beautiful thing she had ever failed to appreciate: the taste of warm rain; the smell of a baby; the din of a swollen river, rushing past her tree and onward to infinity.”
This is a collection of dark short stories with a touch of life lesson thrown in. This is not suitable for small children in the least. There isn't much I can say without giving this away, but it is one of the weirdest and possibly craziest things I have ever read. This is something my father would have loved, but he has a very strange sense of humor. I listened to this in audio format and I am a little sad that I didn't see the illustrations. Maybe this will be something that I add to my personal library in the future, even if only because it reminded me so much of my dad.

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwood ★ 
“Mrs. Popper sighed. “I sometimes wish you had the kind of work that lasted all year, instead of just from spring until fall,” she said. “It will be very nice to have you at home for a vacation, of course, but it is a little hard to sweep with a man sitting around reading all day.”
Mr. Popper is a painter that works seasonally; however, he has always dreamed of going on an expedition like Admiral Drake. He tunes in one night to hear the telecast when the Admiral mentions his name and a surprise arriving soon. The surprise was a penguin. From there the hilarity ensues! I had seen the movie in passing, but I hadn't read the book. I was able to snag the audiobook from my library and I quite enjoyed it. It was just the right amounts of absurd, charming, and creative as well. I can't help but say the penguins were my favorite; however, anyone that knows me isn't surprised by that in the least.

Month in Review: After a slow start to reading this year, this month really breathed some life back into my enjoyment of reading. Readathons are always fun, especially when I am joined by two of my dearest friends. I feel like overall it was a really decent month for reading. I have to say thank you to NetGalley though. One of my favorites from this month was an ARC I requested after repeatedly hearing about it and seeing it on social media. I am currently working my way through a book I have been wanting to read for some time now. As the month wound down I decided not to rush and to really take my time with it so that I can enjoy it. For May, I am hoping to get through the three current ARCs I have, especially the two that are over three months old (oops).

What are some of the books you read during the month of April? If you have read or enjoyed any of these books, I would love to chat about them with you!!

**This post may contain thoughts on books that I have read complimentary of NetGalley.com or directly from publishers. All opinions and reviews are my own. Books were requested in an exchange for an honest review. No reviews are sponsored or solicited by the company, publisher, or author unless otherwise disclosed.

No comments