Reading Tips: Reading Multiple Books

Hiya dearies! I hope this blog is finding you safe and well. With so many platforms seeing a surge in reading, I thought I would share some ideas and tricks with you here. I hope to make this an ongoing series, so keep checking back!


If you are finding this blog post at a later date, right now we are in the midst of a pandemic called COVID 19. With so many staying home, working from home, or unfortunately without work at the moment (if this is you, know that my heart breaks for you), many have turned to books to pass the time. No matter what your preferences in reading, I think I may have a tip for you. Currently, I average between 5 and 10 books a month. I know this is very middle of the road for some; however, I try to increase that number during readathons.



 Right now, I am at the halfway point for the O.W.L.s readathon (you can follow the link to see my TBR, although many of those have changed) and at any given time I have two or more books going on at once. This book was sparked by a comment I received when sharing what I was currently reading/my reading plans for the week. This comment came from someone I have always respected in regard to reading and said the following: "I've never been able to read two books at once! Hats off." So today, I thought I would share with you how I read multiple books at once.

Start Small
Many of the tricks after this build on this one, but I want to encourage you to start small. Find the best way that read multiple books work for you and then build upon that. It has taken me several years to really master and juggle books well.

Learn Your Boundaries
Find that you can't listen to audiobooks while doing certain activities? Or you just cannot focus on a book when your family has the TV blaring? That's fine! All readers struggle with these boundaries. Learn when to push your boundaries and when it just isn't working for you. If you are someone that falls asleep while reading at night, learn that may be a boundary you just can't get past and work around it. Learning your reading habits helps you find more time and ways to read.

Multiple Formats (Physical, Digital, Audiobook, etc.)
When I first started reading multiple books it was out of necessity. I found myself without my physical book and having time to read. My biggest tip for this is if you are traditionally a physical format person, try having a digital book (via phone, kindle, etc) on the go as well. I also find audiobooks to be great as well.

Vary Your Genres
One of my biggest worries, when I started, was getting my plots mixed up; however, I found the easiest way to combat this is by reading two different genres. It is harder to get your romance confused with your fantasy since they vary so widely in the plot.

Certain Times or Places/Activities
If you find it hard to juggle multiple books, having a book for certain activities or times can be helpful. Many of you know that I am a crafter, particularly diamond painting. Although working in silence or with podcasts is okay, I found that I prefer listening to an audiobook while I work. This is when you can really stretch your multiple formats. Have a book that you only read at night while in bed or an audiobook that you listen to with chores or other activities where you are able to listen.

Keep Practicing
My biggest tip in all of this is to just keep working at it. Just like learning a new skill, it takes time and practice to learn. Muscle memory doesn't come naturally and stretching yourself while reading is much the same. But by practicing you are opening yourself up for an even broader range of reading.

I hope that you find these ideas useful in learning to read multiple books at a time. I have found that my reading increases the more I juggled books into my life in different ways. Finding the right devices and services help as well. Some services I suggest: Library apps (I use Libby), Scribd (feel free to try Scribd free for 60 days here), and Podcast (my certain favorite is Phoebe Reads a Mysteries).

What are some of your tips and tricks for reading multiple books at a time? I would love for you to share with me and the community down below.

No comments