Diabetes Awareness Month

Hello my loves. Today, I want to talk about something very near and dear to my heart. It isn't something that I have hid, I have mentioned it several times; however, I haven't talk about it exclusively.

Diabetes Awareness Month

My fiance and several of our children are Type 1 Diabetics. My father was a Type 2 Diabetic. There is a stigma surrounding diabetes. There are two types, and they are very different from one another. It isn't simply one for younger and one for older. Diet and exercise isn't always the answer. I want to share some facts with you. I am not an expert on this type by any means. I am not a medical doctor, nor am I giving medical advice. What I am doing is trying to bring awareness to something that I am passionate about.

Type 1:
-The pancreas produces little or no insulin, the hormone used to break down carbohydrates and sugar
-It is a chronic illness with no cure
-Typical diagnosis happens during younger years of life; however, it isn't uncommon to go without diagnoses until later in life
-Require insulin to live

Type 2:
-The pancreas slowly stops producing insulin or can no long use the insulin produced
-Is a long term metabolic disorder
-Typical diagnosis occurs later on in life
-Can be reversed with diet, exercise, or maintained with medication or insulin

Growing up, I watched my grandparents and my father struggle with Type 2 Diabetes; however, I didn't do the research. I trusted the doctors and let the "adults" handle the diagnosis. When Dylan and I started talking again, it was the first time since his diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes, and boy did I have a lot to learn. At that time he was on shots with the prospect of switching to a pump in the future. It wasn't long until going on a pump was necessary for his management of his diabetes. Diabetes play a very large part in the diagnosed person's life. It affects them and everyone close to them as well. (That may be something that I talk about at a later date.)

Many people are not aware of everything needed for a diabetic. The supplies alone can add up quickly and not everyone has access to the resources that they need to better manage their diabetes. Insulin isn't free and nether is the meter, the finger pricker, the test strips, alcohol prep pads, and on and on. On average, a diabetic should be testing their blood glucose at least four times a day. Of course this varies from person to person. Feeling symptomatic? Check. On a pump and you are going to eat? Check again. Time for a snack? Check again. Gave insulin a while again and you aren't feeling right? Check again. And again. And again. For just a glimpse into the life of a diabetic, here is the footprint graphic for Dylan:

Caption T1D Footprint for Dylan as of November 2, 2016

Diabetes isn't just a diagnosis. It is a daily routine, management, lifestyle, etc. I hope this post has helped to educate you on the differences and a tiny glimpse into being a diabetic. If you are a diabetic yourself, bless you. My heart is with you. You are amazing and strong and courageous. What are some future Diabetes related posts you would like to see from me?

No comments