The Month of Suspense - October Reading Wrap Up

October seems like such a tiny month. The year is falling away with the leaves now. Holidays are just around the corner, and in some areas Halloween dissolved and Christmas appeared overnight. Today, I am going to talk about the books that I finished in the month of October, just barely squeezed that last one in. Only five books was read, but still it felt like a victorious reading month. Lets see why:




City of Heavenly Fire Cassandra Clare
City of Heavenly Fire
Cassandra Clare
Fantasy, Young Adult

DIRC: ---

Rating: 5/5
FINALLY!!! I feel like I have been reading this series forever and a day. I was so glad to be able to put this series to rest. Clare weaves a tale in each of her books that is brilliant and intricate. I just have a short attention span. I won't say too much about this book since it is the sixth, and last in this series; however, not the last in the world. Knowing about her newest release, the ending was obvious with the tie ins for what she had planned. I am over the moon that she fixed the trouble, however slightly, that I had in the previous book. Clary still isn't my favorite character, but I was happy to see that she didn't do away with my favorite character like I was afraid she was doing.

Bones of Betrayal Jefferson Bass
Bones of Betrayal
Jefferson Bass
Mystery, Crime, Thriller, Forensics

DIRC: ---

Rating: 4/5
Jefferson Bass is an author that I return to time and time again. My reading guilty pleasure: murder mystery. I love them, I devour them. Jefferson Bass is actually two authors, one of which (Bass) is the founder of the The Body Farm at the University of Tennessee. The Body Farm is the basis for the novel written by Jefferson Bass. They have held my attention for years, and this one did not disappoint. Even though war, spies, and espionage isn't my thing, Bass still added his depth with forensics and the humor as well. Facing the threat of nuclear issues once again, this really made you think and realize the depth of what people felt during the Cold War. I was captivated and caught up in the story from the beginning, so much so I didn't see the outcome coming. I was pleasantly surprised with how everything unfolding, Bass does an amazing job with tying up loose ends. If you have any interest in forensics or murder mysteries, definitely give this author a look.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
Paula Hawkins
Thriller, Mystery, Suspense

DIRC: ---

Rating: 5/5
Since the release of the movie trailer, I have been wanting to pick this up. Going into it, I knew a little about the story, but only what the movie trailer showed (which isn't too much). On my first day of reading, I wasn't completely sure I even liked the book; however, on the second day I was so drawn in, I didn't want to put it down. On day three, I didn't. I devoured the last 200 and something pages and that is what earned it the last and finally star. The book itself features mostly, if not all, flawed characters, which makes you really question the information that you are given. This wasn't a narration that I had encountered before. Knowing that she is flawed really makes you question the information that she is bring forward. I could understand the need to help others, even strangers. I was completely caught off guard by the ending; however, I think that made me love it even more. Not knowing where it was going and who to trust, I really just had to hold on tight and enjoy the ride. It was a quick page turner that I would highly recommend, especially if you like suspense and thrillers.

Deeper than the Dead Tami Hoag
Deeper Than the Dead
Tami Hoag
Murder Mystery, Crime, Thriller, Suspense

DIRC: ---

Rating: 5/5
Along the same lines as Bass, Tami Hoag is another one of my favorite murder mystery writers. She is a mastermind for suspense and will keep you guessing with each page turn. The shocking reality that a killer could be any upstanding citizen within the community, which has otherwise remained calm and peaceful, is really unnerving. Friendships are questioned, you look at your neighbor and wonder if they are behind the madness of a possible serial killer beginning. The details of the murders themselves are exquisite. It is really captivating that you also the from the perspective of a victim that is currently being held and tortured. Even in the end, there are still questions and connections that are left to your imagination. Although I had previously read the second book in this trilogy, I didn't really remember anything except loving her concept. She has a unique attention to detail and a creativity to her characters/plots that is chilling. I am looking forward to reading the other three in this series as well.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Michelle Hodkins
Young Adult, Fantasy, Contemporary, Paranormal, Suspense

DIRC: ---

Rating: 4/5
Every since I first saw this cover, I wanted to read this novel. I was struck by the beauty and simplicity of such a striking image. When this came up for sale on the Kindle, I had to snatch it up. It looks like I am continuing my journey of unreliable characters again. Mara is imagining things, or so she thinks. I was immediately swept into the story line and couldn't devour it fast enough. It was a quick read; however, I must agree with some of reviews I have seen. This read more like a contemporary with only a very light, subtle nod to paranormal. I did love the creepy and spooky fell that the book had to offer for me right at Halloween. The ending... I am not sure what to say about it. I wasn't expecting that ending, nor did I see it coming. It took everything I thought I had pieced together and unraveled it. It definitely ends with a cliff hanger.


Just want to briefly mention a short novella that I read this month, Where Old Acquaintances Be Forgot, written by a local author and friend of mine. My reason for not doing a complete review is content and my younger viewing audience. It was released on Halloween, just in time to keep you up at night. There are some warnings with this one for abuse, suicide, language, and suggested for a mature audience.

Overall, I am very happy with the reading month that I had in the month of October. I am ready to see what November holds for me and my Kindle is already enticing me with some of the books I have recently purchased on sale. What are some of your favorite reads for the month of October? I would love to see your November TBR list.

No comments