From Heavy Hearted to a Trip in Space - April Reading Wrap Up

It is that time again!! Another Monthly Reading Wrap Up! If you have been with me for a while, you know that I gave up reading for Lent. April was my first full month back to reading. I have loved being back in my world again. This month was full of heavy and lighthearted reads. I did include the only book that I finished before the beginning of April; however, I didn't review it do to adult content. I do have it linked down below. Now on to the books that I read for this month.



If you are new to my monthly wrap ups, here is some terminology to help you throughout this post:
PSRC: Popsugar Reading Challenge
DIRC: Disney Inspired Reading Challenge (Created by A Girl From Alabama)
-You can find the post for her challenges here and here


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Ransom Riggs
Young Adult, Fantasy, Horror

PSRC: A book that's become a movie this year
DIRC: The Little Mermaid - A book that features a forbidden relationship

Why I picked it up: Highly recommended by booktubers I follow and my friend Nate
What drew me to this book: Originally, the reviews and the really creepy cover

Rating: 4/5
Such an intriguing and captivating story that is told in a very unique way. The ending does carry a cliffhanger; however, it is a very manageable one. II was astounded at times by just how real everything felt within the story, especially the characters. I found that the pictures really lend themselves to the progression of the story, and that is a high honor from me having read it on my kindle. At times, I was devastated by all that they have lost, yet still hopeful for all that the future holds for them.
Spoilers/Discussions: I found myself fascinated and laughing out loud to some of the lines within the book that I want to share:
"At times, young man, you tread a precariously thin line between being charmingly headstrong and insufferably pigheaded." "Forgive me. I continue to underestimate the breadth of your ignorance."
The Light of the Fireflies by Paul Pen
The Light of the Fireflies
Paul Pen, Simon Bruni
Mystery, Thriller

PSRC: A book that takes place on an island
DIRC: The Little Mermaid - A book that features a main character leaving an old life behind

Why I picked it up: I was told if I read nothing else this year, I had to at least read this book
What drew me to this book: The intrigue of the previous mentioned statement and the description of the book

Rating:5/5
I am writing this review while it is all still fresh in my mind. I finished this book earlier in the day and even though it took a few days, I feel like I couldn't put it down. It was an emotional roller coaster filled with twists a turns. It isn't often that I read psychological thrillers that are so captivating and unnerving. The book left me questioning what was truly going on through the majority of the book. It was emotionally gripping.
Spoilers/Discussions: My mind is utterly blown by this story and how it made me think. I have actually had to take a few days to really process my thoughts and feelings on what I read. First, I want to start by saying that the slight of hand and illusions in this book are amazing. I literally had to stop during the beginning and get in contact with the person that recommended it demanding to know if the chick dies. One thing that strikes me about this book is just how far a family is willing to go to protect its members. It leaves you questioning your moral compass and just how far you would go for your own family. As the story progresses, you get a sense of just how damaging their situation is. The last several chapters in this book left me appalled and heartbroken all at the same time. Many times I couldn't figure out whether or not a character really deserved my pity or not.
"A door loses its meaning if you don't ever go through it. It becomes a wall."
"There is no creature more amazing than one that can make its own light."

Illuminae by Amie KaufmanIlluminae
Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff
Young Adult, Science Fiction, Thriller

PSRC: A romance set in the future
DIRC: Epcot: Future World - A book set in the future

Why I picked it up: Bookstore was going out of business and it was dirt cheap
What drew me to this book: The ratings and the format

Rating: 5/5
Having just flew through this hunk of a book in 4 days, I am speechless. This is two books in a roll that have blown me away with just how amazing they are. I will admit, I am not a sci fi kind of girl. I was intrigued by the format and how this book is set up; however, I never knew that would be one of the reasons I was sucked in so quickly. I found myself flying through the pages and having to know what happened as fast as I could. I would recommend this just for how unique the writing and format is.
Spoilers/Discussions: Have you ever wondered how technology will help is in the future? Has it ever crossed your mind that one day their may be a computer analytics system that could think and operate of its own accord? I have given passing thought to these things and just how cool it would be, that was until I read this book. I literally looked at the book and said, "Oh no you didn't. How could you do that!" I lost all hope for the people among those ships. Some I though deserved their fate, yet others it was a heartbreak thought to see their lives snuffed out without even getting a fighting chance. The ending... blew me away. To find out why the book was set up that way and how it had smoked screened me into believing all hope was lost, blew me away.

A Walk to Remember
Nicholas Sparks
Fiction, Romance

PSRC: ---
DIRC: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - A book with a white cover

Why I picked it up: It was sent to me as a surprise from my favorite people
What drew me to this book: I had watched the movie ages ago and was told the ending is different

Rating: 5/5
Even if the ending was different, it is still a timeless love story that is heart shattering. I don't think there is many people in this world that could read it and not feel something. Even if you don't connect to the religious aspect of the book, there are still other areas that will tug on your heart strings.
Spoilers/Discussions: Sometimes life is cruel in the harshest ways. It is gut wrenching to even think of someone having to go through this; however, it also made me think of what I would want in her situation, if I would have had the same faith that she had. Having watched a couple be separated by a disease first hand, it is something that you never really forget about, a story that will always stay with you. Now excuse me while I go cry some more.
"I may be older and wiser, I may have lived another life since then, but I know that when my time eventually comes, the memories of that day will be the final images that float through my mind. I still love her, you see, and I've never removed my ring. In all these years I've never felt the desire to do so."

Contemplations by Lisa M. GottContemplations
Lisa M. Gott
Poetry

PSRC: A book of poetry
DIRC: ---

Why I picked it up: It was recommended to me
What drew me to this book: Outside of the recommendation, the description was very intriguing

Rating: 4/5
This book of poetry and what I would call short stories is filled with the inner workings of the soul. Within this work you are faced with endless tragedies and all of the heartbreak that goes with it; however, you also see the softer sides as well. I felt many emotions throughout this book and it weighed heavily on me.
Spoilers/Discussions: I will say that there are trigger warnings for suicide and rape. I am not sure how to really put into words how this all played on my heart and soul. The last story/poem was my least favorite.


Beastly by Alex Flinn
Beastly
Alex Finn
YA, Fantasy, Fairy Tale

PSRC: A book based on a fairytale
DIRC: ---

Why I picked it up: I was in the mood for some Beauty and the Beast
What drew me to this book: I thought it would be a lighthearted and fun read

Rating: 4/5
My heart was overjoyed while reading this. This was perfect for my Beauty and the Beast fix. I had really been wanting to read or watch something Beauty and Beast. It was a really quick read for me, one that I really enjoyed. Kyle wasn't my favorite character in the world. I found him to be a little obnoxious and annoying, especially in the beginning; however, in the end he wasn't as bad.
Spoilers/Discussions: It was very much in line with Beauty and the Beast with a few flairs here and there. I was happy with the storyline, especially that they got to spend time in the snow together, that was always one of my favorite parts.
"People make such a big deal about looks, but after a while, when you know someone, you don't even notice anymore."

Books Not Reviewed for Content Purposes:
-Drake Restrained (The only book completed in February)

These are all of the books that I read in the month of April. What are you stand out reads from April? I have to say The Light of the Fireflies and Illuminae would be my first choices. I loved most of what I read this month. Is there a book with a unique concept or presentation that you love? I would love to hear about it in the comments below. See you all again soon!

No comments