Currently Reading - Week 9

Hello, lovelies! I am a little late this week, but I had some family situations to deal with. February is now over and we are heading into March full steam ahead. So far, March doesn't look my best reading month because I have gotten nothing done yet. I was able to finish out February strong with both books I was currently reading. I reached, and passed, my reading goal for the month. Let's see what I was able to finish.



This year, I have decided to participate in the 2017 Popsugar Reading Challenge. In 2015, I completed and loved the challenge; however, last year I fell off the wagon a little bit and never finished. This year there are 40 regular prompts and 12 advanced prompts. For the last few weeks of December, I spent a lot of time on a spreadsheet compiling ideas and purchasing books to fill out this list to ensure success. Moving into the new year, I decided to change the format of my reviews from monthly to weekly as well as the content included. I want to really improve my reviews and there structure throughout. With that, I will not be able to hold back as much information as usual; therefore, I want to warn you that after the overview section (it will be marked) you may encounter spoilers.

Completed Books:

Twisted Palace (The Royals, #3)
Romance, New Adult, Contemporary
PSRC - 
Rating - 5/5

Overview - (Warning: This overview will contain spoilers) With the murder hanging over their heads, Ella and Reed are determined to get to the bottom of what happened that night before Reed takes the fall for whatever happened. The last thing Ella expects is for her father, who was supposed to have died in a hang gliding accident, to show up at their door shortly after Reed is hauled off for questioning in Brooke's untimely death. Reed has a quick temper and he has to learn to control it or risk ruining it all. With everyone conspiring to destroy them, the Royal's are determined to band together now more than ever.
I'm a Royal baby, I don't run. I fight. 
Because my goal for the weeks we have left is to make Ella Harper happy every second of every day. 
Plot - The plot is this story is a little more defined. We are still bouncing perspectives; however, the plot is clear: find out who killed Brooke since we are sure it wasn't Reed. The setting through all three books is very descriptive, especially when he comes to the Royal mansion. For me, the pacing wasn't as pulling. I found myself losing interest more often than I did before.

Characters - I am still a fan of the way that these characters communicate. I know that some may find it a little childish; however, I felt like it did stay true to the age of the characters and it depicted real life drama of the teenage life, with just a little added drama. In the end, I still felt like Dinah wasn't explained. Ella just comes around to her, we assume out of reverence to her saving her life; however, to me, that didn't feel like enough of a reason. I would have liked more conversation to get to that point.

Conclusion - Overall, I really enjoyed this series. I was able to read through them quickly and I had a hard time putting them down; however, this one dragged a little for me. I am not sure if it was the pacing, feeling like it wasn't going anywhere in the beginning, or because I had simply been in the series too long. The ending is what made the book for me. All I could do was stare as one bombshell after another was dropped. Just like the others, this was a light and fluffy read for me, completely addictive.

Elizabeth Gilbert
Nonfiction, Autobiography, Memoir, Travel
PSRC - A book about food
Rating - 5/5

Overview - After finding herself sobbing on the floor wondering how she got to this point, Liz decided that it was time to call out to God, whoever he or she may be. Hearing his answer, she took it one step at a time to really figure out what she wanted from her future. In her thirties, married for many years, she decides that her marriage isn't working for her, kids isn't what she wants, and the terrible depression she is feeling isn't going away. Liz decides to end her marriage and begin a soul-searching journey over the period of a year while traveling to three different places in search of three very different things. As her journey begins, she has to learn to let go or the past will keep threatening to bring her pack into the pits of depression and loneliness that she was feeling before.
We work with what we know in this life.
I want to have a lasting experience with God... I want to learn how to live in this world and enjoy its delights, but also devote myself to God.
Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions. 
Plot - I found that the story and plot flowed very nicely. I loved the symbolism of the full year, what each destination meant, and even the precise number of chapters included. Each different place was given its own detail and description. The descriptions helped me to really visualize the place and it often felt like I was there alongside her. The pacing could be a bit slow; however, I did find myself keeping interested in the wisdom that she was sharing.

Characters - Many of the people that she met along the journey were intriguing to me. Richard from Texas was one of my favorites with his humor. The communication in the book was very well written. I loved that she included the balance and fullness of the variety of people that she met along the way. Nothing every seemed too perfect or forced.

Conclusion - I went into this book with a lot of expectations. It is a book that I have heard people, women especially, rave about. It is often referred to as a life-changing book. Going into it, I wasn't sure that I would feel the same emotions that everyone else associates with this novel; however, I was pleasantly surprised. I really appreciated the shortness of the chapters. The humor that was sprinkled throughout the guidance was also something that I found very helpful. Even though I may not agree with every point within the book, I generally loved the information that was giving. The insight and wisdom shared throughout her journey from each culture is something that I think everyone should see. I love the overall idea of finding oneself and truly learning how to be at peace within. I walk away from this book with some thoughts and ideas floating around in my head of ways to achieve that balance within my own life. It may not equal to a year long travel abroad, but I will tuck these pearls of wisdom away inside my heart and use them as I move forward in my life.

How did you end out February? What are your goals for March?

No comments