Currently Reading - September 2018

Hello, my Darlings! Welcome to another reading wrap up of all the books I read in September. It was a full month of reading! I managed to squeeze in quite a bit even though it was a hard month for me and my family. So sit back and grab a cup of tea and let's begin!


September Book Stats

Reading Goals: Horcrux-a-thon and read more NetGalley arcs (I am behind)

Number of Books Read: 9

Star Ratings:               Number of Pages:               Genres:
-5                                             -240                                                      -Christian, Nonfiction
-4                                             -137                                                      -Comics, Superhero
-3                                             -320                                                      -Historical Fiction
-5                                             -304                                                      -Contemporary, Holiday
-5                                             -262                                                      -M/M Romance, Fantasy
-5                                             -320                                                      -YA, Fantasy
-3                                             -52                                                        -M/M Romance
-5                                             -110                                                      -M/M Romance
-5                                             -392                                                      -Erotic Romance, Menage

DNF: 0


Month in Review:
Starting this book out with a work in progress devotional that I have been reading for 100 days, and it was amazing and impactful. I started this journey with two dear friends of mine and it did not disappoint to show me that even in small moments, I am brave.

Moving on to the next book, this is one I am not familiar with much; however, I jumped in thanks to a dear friend, Bre. She loves Catwoman, so when I saw this on NetGalley I just had to request it. After doing a little digging myself, I understand it more and I really enjoyed the artwork involved. It has me intrigued to learn more about Batman and Catwoman. (Bre, you get to be the one to enlighten me on this.)

After what seemed like forever I was able to finally dig in and complete The Little Shop of Found Things. The beginning pulled me in with how atmospheric it is; however, that was mostly what it was: atmosphere. The plot and story, although good, just didn't keep me pulled in. There were holes within the story that bugged me and things that could have been handled better. If the atmosphere is all it takes for you, definitely give it a shot when it is released around mid-October.

Next up we have A Coldwater Warm Hearts Christmas. Christmas is my favorite holiday and time of the year. I knew when I saw this arc on NetGalley that I had to go for it. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was diverse in ways that I didn't see coming and really enjoyable. This is an odd thing to love, but I truly loved the vision for the pageant that our main character had. It is a wonderful idea and one I wish could have come to light. The characters were so relatable and the small town feel was so charming and inviting. Overall, this was such a lovely read that I can't wait to share it with others.

Rating this 5 stars should come as no surprise to anyone; however, Ever After was something a little different for Riley Hart. If you are new around here, Hi. I am Jess and I love Riley Hart's writing. I come to realize what these books are for me as I was musing with my best friend, The Girl From Alabama. Riley Hart is like Hallmark Christmas movies for me. There are predictable but in the most comforting way. This one is slightly different with a few fantasy elements thrown in; however, it was still amazing. It is beautifully written and has swiftly been moved up into my top five from this author.

Fall. I have always pondered by Hunter loves to read Harry Potter in the fall, but now I get it. This isn't my first time reading it and it won't be my last; however, that is something truly magical in experiencing it in a new format. This time, I listened to it in audiobook and it truly didn't disappoint at all. I found myself fully engrossed and sucked into the story completely. It made me feel so nostalgic for reading it for the first time all over again. I think audio is my new favorite way to consume this series

Short, sweet and to the point. Maybe too much so. I knew walking into this one that it was short, but I don't think I was prepared for how disjointed the pacing would feel because of it. It was rushed and written to be a "quickie" (no pun intended). I wish there could have either been more (more development, more pages, more detail) or had it been done with a smoother transition.

Another short one, but one that I couldn't put down. It escalated really quickly, but I enjoyed the characters so much I wanted more and more. I couldn't stop and I was sad to see it end even though it ended well. If I could change a few things, the pacing at the beginning would be high on the list. It came on strong and hard hitting with no build up. It felt more like a third to the fifth chapter in terms of pacing and plot. I want to read more from this series and in the end, I was glad that I read it.

American Queen... I don't know where to stay for this one. It all started with a booktuber raving about this as part of a smutty book club; however, I knew after my bestie read it that I had to read it for myself. She was right, the beginning is slow and a little dull, but when things pick up and you are back to the current timeline it is amazing. It isn't for the faint of heart and there are some graphic adult scenes in this, but it was like consuming fire. The push and pull of getting to know each male and in turn falling for each one left me breathless and the story progressed. I couldn't imagine being in her shoes. I am excited to pick up the rest of the series now.

This was an amazing month of reading for me! Although I had several days where I didn't read, I managed to fit in all of the Horcrux challenges. For the first month in a while, I didn't DNF a book, which feels like an accomplishment in its own weird way. I would love to know what you have been reading in the month of September. Have a favorite from the month? I would love to hear that too!

*Please note, this post is not recommended for mobile viewing due to formatting. I am sorry for any inconvenience.
**This post may contain thoughts on books that I have read complimentary of NetGalley.com or directly from publishers. All opinions and reviews are my own. Books were requested in an exchange for an honest review. No reviews are sponsored or solicited by the company, publisher, or author.

No comments