Kidnapping, Serial Killers, Witches, and Love The Doesn't Give Up - June Reading Wrap Up

Can we just take a moment to realize how quickly the first half of the year has flown by? So many shifts in my world and many more to come, but what am I here to talk about today? Reading. And for the month of June, I packed in the reading like it was no body's business.




If you are new to my monthly wrap ups, here is some terminology to help you throughout this post:
PSRC: Popsugar Reading Challenge
DIRC: Disney Inspired Reading Challenge (Created by A Girl From Alabama)
-You can find the post for her challenges here and here


The Last Time We Say Goodbye
Cynthia Hand
Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction

PSRC: A book with a blue cover
DIRC: ---

Rating: 5/5
Going into this book, I expected some tears and some heart wrenching truth. The fact is, we can't always change what other people are thinking. We can't always help someone unless they want to be helped. And this is the story of Lex and how she had to comes to terms with the suicide of her brother. Like the description says, there is only before and after; however, life continues and Lex has to work through the days of after. 
(Trigger for suicide)

The Immortal Circus
A.R. Kahler
Fantasy, Young Adult

PSRC: ---
DIRC: Peter Pan - A book about fairies or fae

Rating: 3.5
This book came to me as a recommendation from someone I trust. It was like The Night Circus, The Arcana Chronicles, and The Wicked Lovely series had a baby. It was a nice baby with an interesting plot. I was a little disappointed with the character development though. I felt like the characters were delivered in a very flat way. I would have liked to see more depth, and not just as the book is ending. Because the characters were a little flat, I didn't find myself attached to any of them. I was left not really worrying if my favorite character would die or not. I am hoping that continuing on with the series will mean that it gets better as it goes on. 

Colleen Hoover
New Adult, Contemporary

PSRC: ---
DIRC: ---

Rating:5/5
Get ready for a heart wrenching roller coaster of emotions. This book is filled with moments that make you laugh, cry, and want to scream of what Sky goes through. It is a story of facing your past, overcoming what stands in your way, and finding hope in what seems like a hopeless situation. The beginning of the book focuses on building the story and setting up the romance. The romance doesn't get heavy until about mid way, which I really appreciated. I won't say that I agree with how the main character handled a few situations, but overall I really loved this book
(Triggers for suicide, rape, child molestation)

Cate Tiernan
Young Adult, Paranormal

PSRC: ---
DIRC: ---

Rating: 3.5/5
I picked up this complete series a long time ago by recommendation and just never picked them up before now. These books switch back and forth between the perspective of several people: Thias, Clio, and the Treize. While it wasn't a terrible book, I just didn't find myself really enjoying it as much as I would have a few years ago. The story was enough to keep my attention and the end left me wanting to read the next one, but somehow I am still slightly let down. One thing I didn't like was the insta-love; however, that corrected itself with time. Most of the characters I find likeable, but at the same time there is no evidence pointing to who could be behind some of the things going on. I would have liked to at least have some clue by the end of it. Overall it was a good relaxed read. 

Cate Tiernan
Young Adult, Paranormal

PSRC: ---
DIRC: ---

Rating: 4/5
I devoured this one. Book two really stepped up the plot and game. Although we are still in the dark as to who might be trying to kill the Clio and Thias, we are starting to see who in the Treize is good and who may have other motives. The ending was explosive and gripping. Tiernan really stepped up the game. Her visualization through her words is very strong.

Cate Tiernan
Young Adult, Paranormal

PSRC: ---
DIRC: ---

Rating: 4/5
With a few more plot twists that I didn't see coming, I am still left wondering what will happened next. It has built up slowly, but the intensity is increasing on the series. I am enjoying how the love interest and aspects of these books have now taken a backseat to everything else. As the story progresses and builds I am even more invested, especially with particular characters. 

Cate Tiernan
Young Adult, Paranormal

PSRC: ---
DIRC: ---

Rating: 5/5
The fourth and final book in the Balefire series went out with a bang. I am really happy with the way the series ended and improved throughout the books. I grew to love the characters each in time. The shifting in perspective really lends itself to this story by letting you really learn the characters. Some things are still open and not answered; however, it is less important to know those answers now. I can understand why publishers are now releasing this series in a bindup. 

Neil Gaiman
Children, Fiction, Fantasy

PSRC: A book you can finish in a day
DIRC: ---

Rating: 4/5
Coraline was filled with whimsy and dark delight. Having loved the movie, I couldn't say no to getting the book on sale and reading it. It was slightly more creepy than the movie, but I enjoyed it. I read it in one day, and I am glad that I did.

Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Contemporary, Romance

PSRC: ---
DIRC: Overview: Disney Land - A set in California

Rating: 4/5
Being my first Rainbow Rowell book, I wasn't sure it would live up to all of the hype that is associated with her name. I found the story to be overall heartwarming and rather comforting. I do like that she uses a diversity with her characters. It is something that I don't always see throughout my reading. Another selling point for me was that her characters are also flawed. I found them to be more relatable and it even helped me to connect with them on a deeper level. Her writing is unique. I can't wait to pick up another book written by her.

Say What You Will
Cammie McGovern
YA, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction

PSRC: A book about a culture you are unfamiliar with
DIRC: ---

Rating: 5/5
I went into this book not knowing what to expect; however, I really thought it would be about love. Falling in love and a lasting relationship. I was rewarded with something more. Amy is a hemiplegia with paralysis on her left side. With constant teacher aides and speaking through a computer, she doesn't make many friends; however Matthew has the nerve to tell her the truth: no one wants to befriend someone with a constant teacher present. Senior year is bringing about new ideas and changes for her. Matthew is dealing with his own issues as well. Yes there was love, but there was also struggle and the reality that things don't always end perfectly. The characters are flawed and human. That makes them feel more real to me.


Stolen: Book 0
James Hunt
Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Police Procedures

PSRC: A book and it's prequel
DIRC: ---

Rating: 4/5
This prequel, and it's following book, was recommended to me by a friend. This isn't something I would usually pick up on my own; however, I really trust this person's opinion. I am not usually a big fan of multiple points of view past two or three, and I often find them confusing; however, it really lent itself to this short read. My theme for this month seems to be flawed characters. Lena has a past that she has worked to keep under wraps while exposing a company and it's regulations for what it is, dangerous. The backlash within this book seems very realistic to me. I wasn't a fan of the lack of character building, but I expect to see more of that in the first book of the series. This book did end in a cliffhanger though.


Stolen: A Kidnapper's Threat - Book One
James Hunter
Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Police Procedure

PSRC: A book and it's prequel
DIRC: ---

Rating: 4/5
Starting just a few hours before the prequel ends, you begin with more about the cliffhanger for the prequel. As the story progress you are sucked into this world and their lives. Just when you think there will be a lull in the action, things pick up again. Gwen really started to resonate with me as a character and how she isn't on the right path, blaming herself for things that aren't her fault. I'm not usually one for these types of stories were politics and business plays a strong roll; however, I couldn't help but get entranced. My only complaint is the cliff hanger again with this one, except this time, there isn't another book available yet. Now I must suffer...

Dark Desires
Eve Silver
Romance, Gothic, Historical Fiction, Mystery

PSRC: A book set in Europe
DIRC: Beauty and the Beast - A book that takes place in the past

Rating: 5/5
Darcie comes from a past of good fortune; however, her fate has been changed and lead her to work with Dr. Cole, a man she has been told to fear. From the beginning I was gripped and entranced with this book. I didn't want to put it down. The diction and description throughout this novel is nothing short of brilliant. The attention to detail is never overlooked. The tension and suspicion is so intense throughout the novel, I never knew what the next page turn would hold. I found myself hopeful, yet dreading the next revelation. Up until the end I was left guessing. There are some adult moments throughout this book and even though it is in a series, each book reads as a standalone. I need to read the other books now!

Boxcar Books I Read To My Family
The Candy Factory Mystery

What I Am Currently Reading
---

What did you month in books look like? Are any of these books on your list or ones that you have read before? Reading is a passion and self-care time that I allow myself. If books are something you love, make time to indulge yourself and exercise your mind. I hope your summer is full of amazing books.

No comments