Currently Reading - Week 6

Hiya! It has been a week for reading, and not a terribly productive one either. I am feeling my way around finding what I am in the mood to read at the moment; however, I was able to finish something. Let's have a look and see what it is.



This year, I have decided to participate in the 2017 Popsugar Reading Challenge. In 2015, I completed and loved the challenge; however, last year I fell off the wagon a little bit and never finished. This year there are 40 regular prompts and 12 advanced prompts. For the last few weeks of December, I spent a lot of time on a spreadsheet compiling ideas and purchasing books to fill out this list to ensure success. Moving into the new year, I decided to change the format of my reviews from monthly to weekly as well as the content included. I want to really improve my reviews and there structure throughout. With that, I will not be able to hold back as much information as usual; therefore, I want to warn you that after the overview section (it will be marked) you may encounter spoilers.

Completed Books:

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Fiction
PSRC - A book by or about a person with a disability
Rating - 5/5

Overview - Madeline is turning eighteen years old. In those years, she has spent most of that time in her white room, with white walls, and white shelves with the only splashed of color being the books that are specially cleaned and shipped to her. Madeline suffers from SCID, severe combined immunodeficiency, or plainly written, she is allergic to everything. Outside of one incident as a child, Madeline is fine with living her life inside her home where her air is circulated regularly and no outside contaminants can reach her. She lives through the books that she reads and that is enough, that is until Olly moves in next door. She has never had a neighbor actually want to meet her, so she is taken aback and intrigued when Olly and his sister Kara shows up at her door.
Instead I wish for something more likely than a cure. Something less likely to make us both sad.
Everything is a risk. Not doing anything is a risk; it is up to you.
Just because you can't experience eerything doesn't mean you shouldn't experience anything. 
Plot - The premise of this story is based on the fact that Madeline isn't allowed to really experience or interact with the outside world. Her mother and her nurse are the only in-person relationships that she experiences. Being allowed the freedom to see Olly thanks to her nurse, spirals into chaos once her mother finds out. The plot is very fast paced and easily read.

Characters - At first, I didn't like how naive and childish Madeline sounded; however, as I continued to read, I started to really understand why that was. We get to watch her grow and mature to some extent throughout the book. I really loved her banter and conversations with Olly. I loved how fun, playful, and witty that they are together.

Conclusion - Although I had a few issues that came up for me after reading, like why the contact with her mother and nurse was allowed when they traveled in and out of the house yet not for others (this was resolved and explained in the end of course), I truly enjoyed this book. I started reading and read over half in just a few hours. Even despite the flaws here and there, I couldn't bring myself to deduct stars because I enjoyed it so much. The emotions that I felt were strong through this book. I couldn't imagine being in Madeline's shoes when she finds out the truth in the end. The evolution of relationships based on how they are handled is also something that I really enjoyed about this particular story. I really look forward to reading more by this author. She has a way with words that is borderline poetic to me. The way she can string simple sentences that pack such meaning is very lovely.

Just Three Words - Addicting, Loveable, Cute

Currently Reading:

Hidden FiguresHidden Figures
Margot Lee Shetterly
Memoir, Biography, History, Non-Fiction
PSRC - A bestseller by a genre you don't usually read
Rating -

Instead of going into an overview, I am just going to put my current feelings and thoughts. I am having a difficult time figuring out what to say and how I want to review this book. It straightforward in that it is telling the history of the black female mathematicians that started working with NACA, now known as NASA. The writing isn't what I had expected going in. I have been trying my best because I wanted to love it so much; however, it is written very cute and dry. Often times I feel like I am just reading a history book, which isn't something I take joy in doing. So I will continue to read this bit by bit. Hopefully I will make headway on it soon; however, it won't be featured in posts going forward unless I finish it. And even then it is on the fence. I hope that you can understand.

What is a book that you have struggled to finish but ended up enjoying it?

No comments