Christmas Traditions I Want To Try

Hello, Darlings! Christmas is the time of year when traditions are everywhere and families are spending more time together. Today, I thought it would be fun to talk about some of the Christmas traditions I want to try in the future.



Growing up I didn't have many traditions outside of looking for Christmas lights, putting up the tree Thanksgiving night, and making Christmas candy to give out. I love the idea of having things we can do together throughout the month of December. With all the hustle and bustle of the season, it is easy to lose track of time or just be too tired to remember the little things. I want to implement these traditions so that we don't get too caught up and forget to spend time together as a family.

The Sweetest Story Ever Told Kit - Proverbs 31
I recently watched I love stream with Lysa Terkeurst and other members of the Proverbs 31 team talking about their favorite Christmas traditions, and this was one of the ones Lysa talked about. The premise is to tell the story of Jesus' birth while making cookies. Her family then shares these cookies with a little card with the story with their neighbors. I thought this was a lovely way to keep Christ in our Christmas and help the children learn the story of his birth in a fun way.

Touchable Nativity Scene
Also, something that was mentioned in the live stream, they talked about how saying "no, don't touch that" could send the message to little ones that Jesus isn't touchable. I had never really thought about it since I never really played with mine as a child. My thoughts are to have one that the children can touch and play with, but maybe also have a collectible family one that is placed somewhere else on display.

Christmas Lights Scavenger Hunt
This is something I have mention on my blog before and something I really want to implement. As a kid, driving around looking for Christmas lights was one of my favorite things; however, I can see how that may get boring for the older children that would rather be at home doing other things. The thought is to make it a game with prizes to be won. I am thinking of coming up with several versions and alternating through the years. For example, one year before we leave we declare something to look for and whoever spots the most of the item they declared, wins a prize. I love finding fun and interactive ways to include traditions I already know and love.

Christmas Game Night
We have all seen those viral videos circulating online of people with oven mitts trying to open a present, kids trying to use candy canes to scoop up candy canes, and tons more. It is great to come together as a family and laugh while competing for prizes.

What are some Christmas traditions that you practice with your family?

No comments