Currently Reading - December 2017

Hello all of you beautiful darlings! It is a New Year, and I have been missing for too long. My plan today is to catch up on some blogs for the past few weeks. We are going to start with the books I read in December!



It was the last month of the year, the reading challenge loomed, and many things still needed to be completed. I won't lie, I had given up on completing my Popsugar Reading Challenge and just started reading the things I wanted to. Somewhere along the way I finished the challenge and finished the year with a wonderful reading month! Here are the books I finished in December:

A Dog's Purpose
W. Bruce Cameron
Fiction, Animals, Contemporary
PSRC - A book from a non-human perspective

Every dog has a purpose. Finding that purpose seems to be the hard part. Following the story of Toby, Bailey, Ellie, and Buddy, we learn the thoughts and feelings from a dog's perspective; however, this isn't your typical dog. Each time it is born again, the live(s) it has previously lived comes back. We follow the journey of finding the dog's purpose and how it uses its previous life's knowledge to be a good dog again.

Going on this date, I knew that it was going to be an emotional book. As a previous dog owner, it was all too real to be let inside the mind of a canine, even if it was fictional. I was preparing myself, and then it happened... the tears started to fall and by the end of the evening I was a wreck. Despite all the tears, there were a lot of funny and humous parts to the story as well. This is one of those times when after you are finished you cannot look at things the same again. I am left wondering about the lives of my animals and what they would say if they could communicate with me. Have they had previous lives? Although I was a sobbing mess and I would like to warn you about that, I would still recommend pressing forward with reading it.

In Case of Emergency
Keira Andrews
Romance, Contemporary, Holiday, M/M Romance

David is known to work too much, check his email constantly, and spend more time at the office than out with friends. After being alone for years after the disaster that was his last relationship, David is looking to try again with a guy that could be a future boyfriend. During Christmas, they plan to get away to a chateau in the mountains to spend time together; however, while he is on his way to start packing, he gets an unexpected call. His ex step brother has had an accident and isn't allowed to stay alone. With no other choice than to accompany him on his romantic getaway, Cole is determined to steer clear of the romance; however, he can't stop the pang of feelings rushing back to him.

This was one of those dates where my best friend will not stop raving about it until I give it a try, but now I cannot say I blame her. It was a cute uplifting time spent in a beautiful location. I love the progression and the quality of the evening. I loved the way they cared for each other in different ways. It was over way too soon; however, it was such an enjoyable time spent with really likable characters.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Laini Taylor
Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Paranormal
PSRC - A book with a family-member term in the title

Growing up, Brimstone and the others was the only family she knew. Moving from place to place and never getting too close to others was just a way of life. Within her art lies her biggest secrets, the world everyone called whimsical fantasy; however, what they didn't know was that chimeras were real. The monsters in her sketchbook are her family, and as the black hands start to show up on the doors to their world Karou doesn't understand the danger until it is too late. Stopping at nothing to find the truth and to save the ones who raised her, Akiva, the angel that is somehow tied to her knows the answers to who she is or better yet what she is. Will she be able to uncover the truth in time to save them?

Oh, my was this ever a rollercoaster of a date. Weaving the fantastical whimsy of two races living in secret of the human world and the one that bridged the two worlds. A forbidden love that destroyed loves and raged vengeance on those who sought its destruction. The folklore and fantasy interwoven into the story were captivating and entertaining. It was a magical night that I would revisit over and over again.

You Melted Be
Kari Gregg
Romance, Contemporary, M/M Romance, Short Story

Leland had used Brian as a workplace play toy, but neither expected to have the feelings for each other that they do. When tensions are high and the office creates a no fraternizing policy, they are forced to stop their relationship before it goes any farther. Brian is leary, but Leland will stop at nothing to get him back. Will they be able to rekindle the feelings they had started to develop? Or will the stress of the work situation continue to pull them apart in the end?

A quick little date from some smutty male/male romance. It was quick and enjoyable; however, it left a little to be desired. The scenes were vivid, but without much backstory I found myself getting confused with the characters since it was so fast paced and short lived. A date for sheer pleasure, but one that I would do again.

Live Original: How the Duck Commander Teen Keeps It Real and Stays True to Her Values
Sadie Robertson
Christian, Nonfiction, Biography, Faith
PSRC - A book with a red spine

Being in the spotlight, especially as a young teenager, is not always easy. Add in a strong Christian faith and you can find yourself challenged at every corner. In Live Original, Sadie Roberston shares her beliefs, the people and situations that influenced it, and how she maintains her values while dealing with everyday struggles. Filled with advice on not only how to remain true to yourself, Sadie also talks about leadership and how you can be a leader to others around you.

This was a spiritually powerful date. The advice and struggles that were talked about are real and it is good to have a tool to help with staying true to values, especially as a teen. Although it isn't a date I could see myself repeating, I did take away some great advice and notes. This is a date that I want my children in the future to go along on as they reach their teens and start learning what it is like to have values amongst others that do not share their values.

The Girls in the Garden
Lisa Jewell
Mystery, Fiction, Suspense, Contemporary, Thriller
PSRC - A book you got from a used book sale

A quiet and peaceful communal garden, an oasis that those who enter cherish. Lives are intertwined and children are safe to roam the garden with the families that share it. But are they really safe? Moving to escape the horrible ordeal of her husband's psychiatric break that caused him to burn down their home, she never imagined that the communal space would become such a treasure; however, as the stories of the past come floating back she starts to wonder about the secrets it holds. Once tragedy strikes again, is it at the hands of the same people? Are the gardens really safe? Or is it all a delusion to those who share it?

I had been excited about this date for some time. I had been savoring the moment when it would begin. As the time ticked by, I was immersed in a garden shared by those who lived around it. A beautiful place that seemed to be a sanctuary. Unfortunately, I was let down by the development of the date and the ending sure left me with much to be desired. Although I enjoyed it for what it was, I really felt like the resolution of the conflicts wasn't well suited and it gives a terrible impression. Decent date, but not my favorite.

Old Magic
Marianne Curley
Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Paranormal
PSRC - A book you've read before that never fails to make you smile

Kate has always been a little strange. She knows it, and everyone around her knows it; however, they don't know the extent of it. When Jarrod walks in, she can feel the mesmerizing pull of him. When a freak storm breaks out in the lab, it is easy for her to see that he has no idea what is happening to him. Vowing to try to help him, she has to break through his skepticism of the power he possesses within him. Can she convince him before tragedy strikes his family again? Or will he be stuck in a cycle of destruction for years to come?

What a lovely and familiar date this is for me. I cannot count how many times we have met together to spend joyous company in each others presence. It is a date I return to time and time again. So many in fact I cannot count how often it has occurred. Even as I age, I still love this story. It has everything: a prince in disguise, far away places, daring sword fights, and the list goes on. It will always remain as one of my all-time favorite adventures.

Living Out Loud
Christina Lee
Romance, Contemporary, M/M Romance

Bonded as children, torn apart by a battle of emotions and religion. As a preacher's son, Ben has always struggled with his feelings for another man. After multiple attempts by his family and hometown church to correct his choices in life, Ben decides to break free from them once again. Once in San Francisco, he has to learn how to start living his life on his terms and not on the terms of his family and their beliefs. Xavier has never had any shame in who he is and fully flaunts his love life and orientation to the world. As Ben returns to his life after years apart, Xavier is challenged to see the world through his sheltered life while learning along the way why he pushed him away after one stolen kiss in the woods. Will the past come to repeat itself again, or will Ben find a way to break free of the chains of his past?

This date did not disappoint! It was full of feelings and difficult topics. As we pushed through the evening I was forced to view how religion is impacting the lives of others, even if it was just fictional. A night of overcoming, and a lesson to be remembered: find yourself and live out loud. With vivid details and heart-crushing moments, this is a date I won't soon forget.

What are some of the books you ended your year with?

No comments