Homeschooling Q&A With Avary

For many people, the school year is just starting for them; however, today starts week two for my children. Many may wonder why they were allowed to start earlier. The answer is simple, homeschooling. At the beginning of last week, I talked to one of my oldest, Avary, and asked her questions about her first day and her outlook on the year.
Homeschooling

What are you thoughts on homeschooling?

-I like it.

Do you enjoy it?

-I do. I enjoy it. I wasn't sure about it to begin with. I got picked on because of it, they thought I was stupid.

Why do you prefer homeschooling over public school?

-Cause I can go to the bathroom when I want to. I can get a snack when I want to. I don't have to have a hall pass. There is no seating chart. There is not a goofy yellow, red, green light. Plus I have more time to learn what I want to.

What are your favorite things to learn about?

-The weather, history

How is homeschooling different from public school for you?

-You can do it in your pajamas! Except days we have to get dressed. There is not as many rules. You don't have to worry about hurting someone else' feelings as much. There's no line ups. You only have to be quiet when the younger ones are asleep. You don't have to be quiet in the hall.

What are you most looking forward to this year?

-New stuff to learn about, stuff gets harder and more challenging. New subjects.

Have you been able to learn more with homeschooling?

-I think so. There's more time and it's not as stiff of a schedule. We don't just have to stop in the middle of something if we are busy to go to lunch.

What activities are your favorite?

-Circle time where we talk about what day it is, the weather, and how many days we have been doing school. Today was only two days, two cubes. We learn songs, talk about the news, and we get to put ideas into the idea box.

What do you find to be the most challenging part of being home schooled?

-Staying asleep. I don't find it challenging. We go out and we have friends in our group. We do activities outside of our group. Sometimes it gets frustrating because there is so many different age groups in one room, but it is still okay. They get to you eventually.

What skills would you like learn outside of the basics like reading, math, science, etc?

-Cooking and baking! Pottery, wood working, and mechanics. I want to learn how to hammer, drill, and change a tire.

I hope that you have all enjoyed this little snippet from my daughter. She is truly an encouragement and a light in my life. Her outlook and thirst for knowledge is refreshing. What are your experiences with homeschooling or public school? Are there aspects of homeschooling that are holding you back or preventing you from trying it with your children? I would love to hear your thoughts. Until next time darlings!

No comments