Currently Reading - August 2017

Hello, darlings! I hope that whenever you are reading this that you are having a wonderful day! Today, we are talking about books! It has been some time since I last posted a currently reading with reviews, so here you go!
Currently Reading


August shaped up to be a decent reading month for me compared to the rest of the summer. I set a goal to try to read more towards PSRC once I realized that I was running behind the schedule I had set for myself, one book a week. My Goodreads goal is still going strong with 5 books ahead of schedule! It has been a while since I did my in depth reviews, so bear with me while I get back into the swing of it. Enough updating, let's get into what I read this month.

Sweep Cate Tiernan
Sweep Volume 1
(This Volume includes Sweep Books 1-3: Book of Shadows, The Coven, and Blood Witch)
Cate Tiernan
Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Witches
PSRC - A book you bought on a trip
Rating - 3/5

Overview - Morgan Rowlands is looking forward to starting a new year with her best friend Bree. No one expected there to be a new guy in this small community. Cal storms through stealing the attention of many of the girls. He fits in easily with all groups, but soon his intentions are clear: he wants to start a new coven. Morgan wasn't sure what she was getting into, but after the first circle, she felt something awaken in her. As questions arise, she is determined to discover more even if her family is against it.

Plot - I am always intrigued by magical books. Witches are something I haven't explored near as much as I should. It was set in a small town; however, I felt like the scenes were well describe for good imagery. The pace was quick and easy to read and kept my interest intact. I read through all three rather quickly.

Characters - I felt like there was a slow progression with character development, but I didn't expect leaps and bounds in the time span that these three take place in (less than a year). I found the characters to be somewhat likable; however, I really disliked the girl against girl over a male character. Even though it would be characteristic of high school drama, I really hate seeing this. I feel like some of the issues could have been resolved with proper communication.

Conclusion - Overall, I flew through this volume rather quickly. I averaged about two days a book. I went in with a pretty high expectation since this was highly recommended to me in the past. I loved the overall concept and the details involved. I found myself really liking scenes from the book shop and in the field. I think the overall imagery helped me with those being my favorites. I am not sure I would read them again, but I do continue to finish the series. They are quick and easy to immerse into it.

Starcrossed
Starcrossed
Josephine Angelini
Young Adult, Fantasy
PSRC - A book based on mythology
Rating - 3.5/5

Overview - Helen Hamilton has always been different, with strength and speed she has never been able to explain, she constantly tries to hide it. Nantucket is a small island with few secrets, so when a new family has moved into the mansion, word spreads quickly. Nightmares wake her each night, walking through a wasteland. She has no interest in the new family; however, fate has a different idea. Once the hallucinations start haunting her at soon as well as terrible pain, she is determined to learn the cause. Little does she know, the Delos family holds the answers she is searching for; however, being around them is next to impossible. Destined to recreate the past, will they be able to alter fate trying to pull them into war?
There were an infinite number of ways for her to admire this one person, and because of that, there were an infinite number of ways for her to fall in love with him over and over again.
Plot - Mythology isn't my forte, so I was slightly lost throughout some of the story; however, that didn't take away from my reading experience. I loved the small island setting with the details of the ocean and small town. I felt like the pace ebbed and flowed. Sometimes it was a bit slow, but other times the scenes escalated quickly.

Characters - I didn't find many flaws or reasons to dislike the characters; however, I was quickly annoyed with the fates and their screeching. I felt like the development of the characters was very well done. The interactions could have been better, but with teenage characters and unexplainable circumstances, I can see how that could be lacking.

Conclusion - Although I found myself wondering and sometimes a little lost, I did enjoy this book. I didn't really have any expectations going in, but I was hoping it would be good based on the cover. I loved the attention to detail throughout the book. I do plan on continuing with the series, especially after the strong ending of this one. (overall thoughts on the book, expectations met, what I loved, what I didn't, would I read it again, would I recommend it, would I continue if it is a series.

This Is Where It Ends
This Is Where It Ends
Marieke Nijkamp
Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction, Realistic Fiction
PSRC - A book about a difficult topic
Rating - 4/5

Overview - It is 10 AM and the principal has finished her speech welcoming the students. No one is prepared for the minutes that follow. Autumn never expected him to walk in and start shooting. Claire heard the shots while practicing track outside. Sylvia is gripped with fear the minute he walks in, he wasn't supposed to be here this year. Tomas is shuffling through files in the office when the unmistakable sound of shots reach his ears. Shots ring out and the auditorium doors won't open.

Plot - Set in my home state, this hit a little close to home for me. I enjoyed knowing the type of landscape that would be involved. The book itself was told in under an hour, so the pace is very gripping. My heart broke, but I never lost interest.

Characters - I wouldn't really classify the characters in terms of development and progression; however, I did enjoy that through multiple view points you are able to see the strings that connect each of the characters to each other whether they knew or not. I felt that the balance of likeability and flaws was very real. One thing I wish was includes was the perspective from the shooter. Many will call that morbid, but I think it would have added to the story to see through his eyes and his memories as to what lead to this moment. We see those things from other, but never from his personal thoughts.

Conclusion - This was such a gripping and emotional read for me. The premise of this story is something I never feared as a child, but something Columbine changed for me, all of us really. I can see how this book could be problematic for someone who has experienced a similar sequence of events. I feel like the multiple points of view really helped the story progress. Like I mentioned above, I think the perspective of the shooter would have helped to balance the overall book. I am not sure I could read this again, but it was worth reading for me.


The Ocean At The End of the Lane Neil Gaiman
The Ocean At The End Of The Lane
Neil Gaiman
Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Magical Realism
Rating - 4/5

Overview - Having to return to his hometown for a funeral, he is pulled to visit the home of his childhood friend, Lettie Hempstock, and her family farm at the end of the lane. As he sits by the pond, the memories of his childhood start to wash over him. Transferred back forty years, all the strange events come flooding back to him. A man found dead in his family's car sparks in an unimaginable way. The darkness unleashed upon the little boy is beyond his scope of understanding.
Childhood memories are sometimes covered and obscured beneath the things that come later, like childhood toys forgotten at the bottom of a crammed adult closet, but they are never lost for good.
Plot - The setting and premise in this magical horror world is very detailed. Gaiman is a master of creating believable imagery that sucks you in. The pacing was natural and flowed well from chapter to chapter.

Characters - It took a while for me to see the development of the unnamed boy. The characteristics are typical for a child, and that really leaned itself to the overall arch of the story. I found Ursula to be so unlikeable, but I don't know of anyone that would like her. I felt like communication was strained; however, the difference between child and adult was highly predominate throughout.

Conclusion - There is one thing I have to mention... the chapter with the worm in his foot is so detailed and graphic, I almost couldn't finish it. I truly feel like Gaiman is an author you either love or hate. I find myself somewhere in between. While I am reading it, I am unsure; however, once it ends I can appreciate the story for what it is. I have noticed I tend to prefer his books with younger characters such as this and Coraline. I didn't have many expectations going in, but I would recommend it to others. If you are someone that likes his writing, this is beautifully written. I think I would enjoy another book of when Lettie returns. I enjoyed her character and would have liked more.

Tarnished Crown Erin WattTarnished Crown (Available on WattPad)
Erin Watt
New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
PSRC - A book with multiple authors
Rating - 3.5/5

Overview - Gideon is away at college, partying to forget he lost the girl of his dreams; however, he looks up and there is Savannah. Determined to make things right, he will stop at nothing to win her back, but in order to do that, he has to tell the truth. Savannah is doing all that she can to avoid Gideon. He proves to be persistent and determined to win her back. Known for his grand gestures, he will stop at nothing to get her attention. With the past behind them, can they rebuild a future together before it is too late?

Plot - While it is an extension of the previous books, I felt like the setting of the college could have been explored more. Especially with Reed coming into college soon. The pacing of this one wasn't as good as the previous books even if it was a breeze to read. It was able to keep my attention, but I did struggle from time to time jumping between Gideon and Savannah/past and present.

Characters - I liked seeing Gideon and Savannah more in depth; however, I am waiting to see if she gives more to the characters in terms of development. You do see an improvement in how they interact, especially once Gideon vows to be truthful no matter the outcome. For me, that alone makes Gideon more likable.

Conclusion - I will admit, I am total trash for this series. I love my Royals. I really felt like this didn't add that much to the overall story. I am hoping with future books that it will tie in more as the story on WattPad builds and more books are released. I loved getting to see more Royal information, but I wish she would have explored it more in detail and tied it in more. I would have liked to see more about the college setting considering when we left, Reed would have been getting ready to attend college himself. If you have the time and you want a quick read, I would recommend it; however, I don't feel it is necessary to enjoy the rest of the series at this point. I have every intention of continuing the series. Spoiler alert: I am already reading Fallen Heir, book four in the series.

As you can see, I met my goal of reading five books this month. Overall, I was happy with all the things I have read and I am looking forward to another month packed with reading. Have you read any of these books? I would love to hear your thoughts below.

No comments