Books I Would Buy With a Gift Card

Hello, all my beautiful readers! Coming off of all the Top 5 posts in May, I had no idea what I was going to write about; however, a friend had a wonderful idea to talk about some of the books I would purchase if someone gave me a gift card.



Books are expensive. There is no hiding that fact. As someone on a budget that rarely purchases full price books for herself anymore, the idea of using gift cards from others as a way to buy the more expensive books on my list really sparked me to see what those books would be. For me, these are books I have either wanted for a long time or just haven't justified the price tag for myself. Throughout the post, you will find the links to the Goodreads page and the Amazon storefront so that you can check them out for yourself. Hope you enjoy!

Goodreads | Amazon
I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara
It all started on booktube with one of my favorites, The Big Haired Bookworm. After she talked about it, it seemed like everyone was reading it and raving about it. That alone was enough to suck me into adding it to my wishlist; however, when the news broke that they have captured the killer, I knew I had to have this book. Ever since then I have been avoiding headlines and news articles in hopes I can read this soon.



Goodreads | Amazon
The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff
This one, I blame on Vinny. Once we started calling each other Newt and Tina after our love for Fantastic Beasts, I started watching more and more youtube videos with Eddie Redmayne in them. It wasn't long until I stumbled across the trailer, then interviews, and so forth. After learning more and reading the synopsis, I knew this was a book that I wanted to pick up and read for myself before experiencing the movie.




Goodreads | Amazon
You by Caroline Kepnes
This one started with booktube as well. So many commented on how it was written to the point it was like it was happening to you. I was fascinated and slightly taken aback by that. For those of you who haven't heard about it, from what I take it is about a stalker who orchestrates a series of events to create a chance meeting which develops into more after looking her up after she walks into the place he works at. I don't want to know too much more than that, but I have heard that it becomes a manipulation plot throughout that feels like he is talking to you. It also doesn't hurt that I snagged the second book almost a year ago on sale and have been patiently waiting for a sale on this one as well.


Goodreads | Amazon
Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner by Judy Melinek, T.J. Mitchell
For anyone who doesn't know, I have always been into true crime, murder mysteries, crime tv shows, etc. There was a time when I had plans to continue into forensic science in college as well. Running across this book I knew it would have great insight into a career and profession that I have always been intrigued by. Although it may not be everyone's cup of tea, I think this book would really capture my attention. Nonfiction and autobiographies aren't my usual, but I am starting to see more creep into my reading with subjects I find fascinating.

Goodreads | Amazon
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
This is another one of those books that I started seeing everywhere and the hype drew me in quickly. Many have said that it reads like a real-life drama that actually happened and that they are hoping it is optioned for the big screen as well. I don't know much about it going into it, but I like it better that way. When I was younger, I was guilty of watching soap operas with my mother and my grandmother and this seems just as scandalous and addictive. I can't wait to pick it up.



Goodreads | Amazon
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
Add this one to the list of booktube made me do it. This isn't a book that would have ever made it to my radar; however, Julie from Pages and Pens talked in depth about the relationship that takes place in this novel and how taboo it is. Many have said it is something you shouldn't want to happen, but in these circumstances, it is the best option at the time. That alone reminds me of The Light of the Fireflies, which was beautiful and broken it's own way. I have also heard that it is loosely based on experiences that the author experienced, which intrigues me even more.

Goodreads | Amazon
The Girl in 6E by A. R. Torre
I do not think there is an accurate way for me to describe this book, so I highly suggest that you read the blurb on Goodreads for it. Go on then, great! Now that you are back, you might understand why I am enthralled with the premise of this book. A woman that craves death must venture out into the world she has locked herself away from to hopefully save someone else. Take my money! It is a plot line I haven't heard of before and it has me wondering just what would happen if she left her apartment.




Goodreads | Amazon
What Stands in a Storm: A True Story of Love and Resilience in the Worst Superstorm in History by Kim Cross
For those of you that don't know, I am from Alabama. Six years ago a generational superstorm tore through my state destroying lives, homes, and anything in its path. Although I wasn't personally hurt, several close to me and many more that I would later become close to, where devastated by these storms. This will be a hard-hitting book; however, it is one that I have wanted to read for some time now.

Goodreads | Amazon
This is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today by Chrissy Metz
If you aren't a stranger around here you know that I have posted about my body image in the past. Being a plus size woman in the face of a camera seems like a daunting thing for me; however, Chrissy Metz has conquered that and given a voice to a group of people who didn't really have one before. Although I have never watched the show (don't hate me, it is on my list) I admire what she is doing and would love to read about her journey through it.



Goodreads | Amazon
The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime by Judith Flanders
This is definitely one of those times when the cover is so pleasing that you have to stop and see what it is about. Along the lines of Working Stiff above, I was intrigued by how history and the past have shaped modern crime and death. Although murder was rare outwardly, the entertainment industry was quick to portray it. My best friend is also really big into the Victorian era, so I thought this may end up being one that she would like to discuss and talk about as well.



So there are some of the more expensive books that I would love to purchase with a gift card. What are some of the higher priced books on your wishlist?

No comments