Writing Reviews for NetGalley

Hiya, dearies!! Today I wanted to share with you how I have been writing reviews for NetGalley. I want to cover how I use notes and tracking key information to write the best reviews that I can. Let's get started!



As some of you have noticed, my currently reading posts have changed formats again this year. I am working on a way to streamline my processes for reviews and let's be honest, writing a review on multiple social media outlets (my blog included) and in my personal trackers (currently my planner and a spreadsheet) is exhausting. Not to mention it is hard to keep up with doing all of them when I read a lot in a month. So today I wanted to talk to you about how I go about writing my reviews for NetGalley.

What is NetGalley:
NetGalley is a website the helps readers find new books. Whether you are just a reader, a blogger, or a librarian, they have the resources to help you find new releases and other books based on your interests. You can read them digitally and then join in on the community of other readers reviewing and discussing the same books. They have multitudes of books that are currently available to read or that you can request access to from the publisher. You have access to the book digitally for a certain period of time before it is archived, like a library book. I have personally challenged myself to try new books that are outside of my comfort zone to widen my horizons.

Getting Started:
After I have requested, been granted access, and downloaded the book, I will start reading, of course. This will include getting cozy, having a beverage handy, and sometimes a snack as well. While I am reading I keep notes within my traveler's notebook for easy access. When I first start the book, I set up my notes pages and have it ready to take any notes. I keep an easy key at the top of each page so that I can quickly reference things within my notes. I find this helps because I can sometimes become jumbled inside my own notes and handwriting.

Taking Notes:
This is the hard part for me. I am the reader that is easily pulled out of the story while I am taking notes; however, I have learned for these reviews it is easier to do it as I am reading instead of trying to collect myself after the fact. With that being said, I have found a way that tracks the essentials without being too much to pull me away. As you will see, I use a different symbol for each category so that I can easily scan my notes for specific material. Here is what I track:

  • Quotes (▲): These are anything from something I found to be beautifully written or inspiring to facts I think I need to remember while I am reading.
  • Characters (•): I keep a running list of every major and some minor characters that play a role in the book. I also keep a brief description of who they are. For example Bert - Elizabeth's husband or Helen - gallery assistant / Bert's lover? Anything that is an assumption I leave a question mark. If that assumption is proven true, I will go mark and mark it.
  • Thoughts (-): This includes any thoughts I have about the plot, characters, progression of the stories, how I am feeling, etc.
  • Theories/Questions (?): Here is where I keep all my theories and questions I have as I am reading. I am using this to be able to look back and see if I could guess or see where the book was going before the plot developed. I find this to be especially helpful when reading mysteries or thrillers.

Wrapping It Up:
After I have completed the book and my notes, I will take the time to go back over my notes, figure out what to rate the book, and start the reviewing process. When I review for NetGalley, I try to be as thorough as possible. I will cover any plot holes, things I didn't like, and character progression that I found to be laking. Most importantly, I always make sure to include the things that I love about the story, writing, etc. I find it important to share a balanced review of the work considered most of the book I am review aren't published or are coming upon their release date. The review that I share with the website is the same review that I share on Goodreads, word for word.

This is my current process that is working for me. It may change some since I am new to reviewing with NetGalley, but it is working so far. I hope that you have enjoyed a look into the process. Of course, these same steps and principles can be applied to any review. 

What are some of the tricks you use while writing reviews? I would love to hear any tips you have for writing thorough reviews down below.

No comments