Currently Reading - September 2017

Hello, my darlings! Is it just me, or did September fly past! I feel like the pages of my planner kept flipping faster and faster. I have to admit, this wasn't a good reading month for me. Reading slump central has stuck again. It remains to be seen if I have pulled myself out of it; however, I do have some exciting book-related things coming up next month. I am changing things up in my reviews, so let's start with going over what I am changing.



This month, I want to try out something new; however, I wanted to explain it to you a little more. After watching The BigHaired Bookworm's video about why she doesn't rate books, I thought it was a brilliant idea and something I want to incorporate into my reviews. "If this book was a date, what kind of date was it? Was it a date you would like to be repeated? Or was it a date where you are doing emergency numbers to get someone to phone you because it's going the badly?" Going forward I am removing the rating section, but I will use the dating system to rate my personal experience with each book. I thought this was a fun way to incorporate some humor into my reviews.

Fallen Heir (The Royals #4)
Erin Watt
Young Adult, New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
PSRC - None

Easton Royal has always been the screw-up among his siblings. No matter what he does, trouble follows him wherever he goes. Determined to finish out his senior year as free as possible, he vows it isn't going to get tied down. One bad decision after another leads him directly into the path of the new transfer, Hartley. She seems so average, yet he can't seem to get her out of his mind.

This was a date I was incredibly excited about. I rushed to preset all the reminders so that I would arrive as soon as possible. The date started well, I was immediately gripped and didn't want it to end. It was just like revisiting with an old friend, one I didn't think I would see again until recently. However, a little over midway through, I found myself losing interest. Whether it was his behavior or just personal things overtaking me I am not sure. The date ended with a shock, but just like all the other dates before, I will come back for more each time.

The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies #1)
K.J. Charles
Romance, Fantasy, MM Romance, Mystery, Magic
PSRC - A book with a subtitle

Lucien Vaudrey was sent away to China by his father at a young age. Merrick was hired to kill him, but he decided to learn more about him first and the two became fast friends. Now, returning to Piper from his home in London to handle the legal matters after the death of his father and brother, the lord doesn't expect for his life to be at stake; however, he has yet again tried to take his life without remembering it. Deciding to call in a shaman, he wasn't sure what to expect here in London. When Stephen Day walked in, Lucien couldn't help but notice his demeanor. The last thing Stephen expected was to actually agree to help Lucien. After all the Vaudrey's had done to his family, helping was the least on his list for any member of their family. With his life on the line, can Lucien trust Stephen to help stop the forces that are trying to kill him?

I wouldn't call it a blind date; however, it was set up by someone else. Upon their kind words, I couldn't refuse to at least give it a shot. I wasn't expecting much, but the banter provided was quickly infectious and charming. I found myself drawn to spend more and more time on this date. It was devouring and lovely. I cannot wait to continue to go on more dates with the books in the series. The ending was so tantalizing, and the short story at the end only helped to fan the flames.

Thank you for coming along with me on this journey! I would love to hear your thoughts on the new way of sharing my ratings with you. As I mentioned, I have some fun reading-related things coming up in October including a Readathon. Would you like to see me do a blog post on the challenges and my TBR? I hope that is has been an incredibly reading month for you! Catch you soon!

No comments