Dealing With Grief And A Plot So Thick You Could Sufficate - Monthly Reading Wrap Up

Like many others, I am wondering where October went. I feel like I blinked and the month was gone. As the year is winding down I am working hard to complete the Popsugar Reading Challenge. This month was a success on that; however, I hit a huge reading slump. Today I will be wrapping up the books that I read during the month with a spoiler free review, so let's get started.

Monthly Reading Wrap Up




Game of ThronesGames of Thrones, a novel of massive (quite literally) proportions, follows the tales of a realm torn
by the battle for the thrones and the plots to overtake the kings position. With a questionable death of the hand of the king, the ward of the north, Ned Stark, is chosen to take his place by his long time friend. With a threat to all of those surrounding him, he continues in a plot to uncover the truth; however, his wife is taking actions of her own. Will the two end up clashing or will they come together to discover the evil plotting of those at hand? The blood of the dragon they perceive to be extinct is still alive and well with a plot to take their rightful seat on the throne held for many years by their ancestors. Will they be successful in overthrowing the new king?

With a page over 800, it took me quite a while to finish this heft of a book. Too be honest, it wasn't the page count that hindered me. The sheer amount of details and information thrown at you is astounding. With constant shifting points of view, you are thrown from place to place and plot to plot. The realm is at risk and when then inevitable happens, the battle for the throne begins. With plots of treason and many, many deaths, it is captivating and intriguing to watch how the different plots weave together. Although I loved this book (and the tv series), I am not sure I will continue to read the books.

Popsugar Reading Challenge: A Book At The Bottom Of Your To-Read List

Fear Street by R.L. StineThe New Girl in the first of many to come, R.L. Stine thrills with the first story of Fear Street. With
the warning of the tales of the street, Cory must visit in order to find out the fate of the new girl. In his confusion, he isn't even sure she is real since only one of his friends has actually seen her and when he calls her house, he is told she is dead. Ditching his friends and losing sleep becomes a constant as he tried to unravel the mystery of Anna Corwin. Her kiss is bewitching, but will it mean the end of Cory on Fear Street?

I loved my trip back to my childhood of devouring these books. Stine is known for his thrilling novels for teens. With unpredictable twists and turns, nothing is ever what it appears to be. With every chapter you wonder if Fear Street will calm another victim. I was left wondering if a dead girl had come back to life and just how Cory was going to make it out with his head. This was a fast and very relaxing read for me.

Popsugar Reading Challenge: A Book That Came Out The Year You Were Born

The Vampire DiariesThe Awakening at the top of her class, Elena is the talk of the school; however, when she fails to turn the head of the new guy, she vows that she will have him. Trying to just fit in and live a somewhat normal life, Stefan isn't interested in the haunting girl that only reminds him of his past and the pain that it brings. When terror strikes he town to signal the return of his long lost brother, it becomes harder and harder for him to resist the pull of Elena. Will history repeat itself with the own that looks so much like the one who tore the brothers apart? Which brother will she choose?

As a huge fan of the show, it was intriguing to read how the story was originally written. Captivated by the story of Damon and Stefan, I could not put this book down and really struggled with not reading the rest of the series immediately. Elena is determined to have what she wants and will stop at nothing to get it. The characteristic is admirable, yet I found it slightly annoying in the writing. I am intrigued to see how the series progresses without certain aspects of the tv show present.

Popsugar Reading Challenge: A Book Based On Or Turned Into A TV Show

Sweeney ToddSweeney Todd a demon barber set on his revenge, but at what price? Upon his return he vows to
avenge the man who took everything from him, his wife and his child. Aided by Mrs. Lovett, they devise a plan to benefit her and to help him in regards to his plan. Will the crazy beggar on the streets stop them with the screams of mischief? When they take in a little boy, Toby, they next expect him to discover their secret. With so many customers disappearing above and many wondering in for her meat pies, will someone stop Todd before his plot is complete?

As someone that never really enjoys plays, I was so excited to find this for my challenge. I am a huge fan of Tim Burton and was so mesmerized by the play and seeing how it played into the movie as well. Sweeney is set on his revenge, and will stop at nothing to take the one who hurt him. I found myself singing along with here song and loving the detail of the play. A deathly barber and a woman bent on winning his love, with one fatal mistake.

Popsugar Reading Challenge: A Play

The Boxcar Children
Mystery on Blizzard Mountain, is this return to the story of Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny, they are out to help mark the new path up the mountain. The mountain is said to be haunted by the ghost of Stagecoat George. As strange things begin the happen, food vanishing out of no where, and loud knocks on the walls of the cabin, will they get trapped on the mountain in the fresh snow or will the ghost find them first? One thing is for sure, you shouldn't mess with the treasure of a ghost bent on finding it.

Finally, a story time that wasn't one we have already read! I was so excited to not only spend the time with my girls, but to read more about the Alden children. They never cease to bring the twists and turns. My daughter, Avary, especially loves to read the books when they cook in them. This one had us all captivated and worried about what was going to happen. This is one series that I am glad that my children cherish, as do I.

PS I Love YouP.S. I Love You after losing her husband, Gerry, to brain cancer, Holly is just trying to stay alive and failing at doing so. She finds herself not wanting to really carry one and letting everything go because of it. Finally, her mother coaxed her to come by and pick up an envelope that was left for her. Inside she discovers a set of letters, one for each month, from Gerry. As she opens the first one and reality sets in, she holds tightly to the letters. Is moving on something that she will be able to do? Will the letter be the key to helping her live again or will the new man in her life help her see her life and love again?

This book was so moving and touching. I found myself feeling every emotion possible. Having lost my father to cancer this year, this helped me to get a glimpse into what my mother has been going through and ways to help her with coping. Holly and Gerry have a love story enormous and true. It is a story of facing grief and living despite the circumstances.

Popsugar Reading Challenge: A Book Set Somewhere You've Always Wanted To Visit

Overall is was a productive month for reading; however, it left me in a bit of a reading slump. What do you do to get out of a slump, especially when feeling the pressure of unread books? I would love to hear about any of the books you have been reading this month or for the challenge. Leave a comment if you have read any of these books and would like to talk about them, or just to convince me to carry on with the Game of Thrones series.

No comments