Thankful Thursday - November 5, 2015

For the month of November, my Bible study group is challenging ourselves to do a weekly recap of thankfulness. Each week we are talking about what we are thankful for and to share a verse or two that we find about giving thanks and thanksgiving. We have been challenged to reach deeper than the usual thankful list. Each Thursday, I will come to you with a verse and things that I am grateful for.




Give thanks to the Lord of lords:

His love endures forever.

Psalm 136:3


For many, myself included, it is easy to go about our day with giving much thought to all of the blessings in our lives. The first on my list, and something that has been weighing heavily on me, is just how great the love of Christ is. When we read that his love endures forever it seems like a silly thing; however, in it's full context, it is a pledge that we cannot break. For me, that is more powerful than any earthly love. I am so grateful for his unconditional love, even when I fall short or stray from his path.

The power of prayer. Something that many have seen and felt first hand; however, sometimes it takes a profound answer to notice just how powerful prayer is. Answered prayers are something that I have often taken for granted until it struck home for me. Many may not understand why I prayed for what I did; however, I prayed for a swift and painless passing for my father as he was diagnosed with cancer. I will not say that he was never in pain, but God provided a way to ease his pain. My prayers that his suffering not to be drawn out were answered. This is only one prayer, yet it is one that has meant so much to me and has given me closure and peace.

His word. Such a simple context, a book I have taken for granted. Yet there was a time when among his followers, the word of God and the commandments were lost to them. His word is my guidance, my strength, and my understanding. Even though I have not read ever word in my Bible, nor have I been studying it for years on end; however, just in the time I have spent with it this year it has changed my life. Many do not get the privilege of being able to read the Bible. It makes me cherish the freedom that I have to even hold such a treasure in my hands.

It is the season of giving thanks, what are you most thankful for in your life right at this moment? I challenge you to think beyond the tradition answers of family, friends, and even love. Find thankfulness and happiness in each day. I hope that you have enjoyed this first Thankful Thursday here. I can't wait to see you again next week. Don't forget to leave me a comment telling me what you are thankful for as well!

No comments