When Choosing Between Two Evils Isn't All The Easy - August Reading Wrap Up

While everyone else is happy to see September, I am over here wondering where all the time has gone. August has come to a close, and with it another month of reading complete. For August, I participated in the #5books7days readathon, which is where the bulk of my reading comes from. Many of those were for the Popsugar Reading Challenge. With only ten more books to complete the challenge, I am pretty excited to finish out the challenge. My Goodreads reading goal is 27 from completion. Now lets get to the books I have read and what I thought about them!




Vicious by V.E. SchwabVicious were two friends are at odds with the research interest they have decided to share. Fresh out of a jail break, Victor decides that it is time for Eli to pay for what he has created. While away, Eli has partnered up to destroy any of the remaining EOs, extraordinary, that he can tract. Will Victor and his friends be able to stop him in time, or will all of them be wiped from existence for trying?
When forced to pick between two bad characters, who will you be rooting for?

Have you ever read a book that made you question you view point on things? This was the book for me. V.E. Schwab knocks it out of the park with this book. Her writing style is beautiful and engaging. Bouncing between view points and time periods is never easy; however, she did just that, seamlessly. You are left to pick between two evils, which is something I have never encountered with a book. Throughout the whole book it is a power struggle for who is the worst, yet who you want to come out on top. It explores a unique aspect of near death experiences that makes you wonder just what happens when you are brought back from death. I could go on and on about this book. I cannot wait to get my hands on every book she has written.

Popsugar: A Book Written by Someone Under 30

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy KalingIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me is the comical memoir of Mindy Kaling as she struggles with herself, growing up, and her career. This book is an invitation to tour her life as she went from a chubby little girl that loved to read, to a member of The Office. In this story she talks of her struggles not being the typical woman to walk on set and how that affects her. From living off of ramen to making it in the comedian world.

Set up in sections and strangely written, I found this book quirky and funny. It was a light-hearted read. I have heard amazing things about her as a coming-of-age writer; however, I expected more form this book. It ended at comical. Yes, I learned more about Kaling and I was able to find humor in her. Yet somehow I was a little dissatisfied with the overall book. I shows us that women can make it in a world of men, even when they are not the standard type woman, but I feel it just skims the surface without going too deep.

Popsugar: A Funny Book

Grey by E.L. JamesGrey is the book everyone has been waiting for, yet has caused quite the uproar of angry people. Inside the head of the infamous Christian Grey, you see the world of Fifty Shades of Grey in a whole new light. From the moment she stumbles into his office, his world is changed. He cannot stop thinking about her, even if she is a little apprehensive about his lifestyle. What memories does she awaken inside of him? What is so special about her to have him questioning everything he has every believed in? Will his need for control destroy her before he even gets the chance to punish her?

I am not ashamed to admit, I was one of those girls that read the original series, and even poorly written, I liked the story. I was expecting more of the same with Grey; however, James really brought the story to life in a new way. With better writing and more of Christian, I loved the insights into how he was feeling and what he was thinking. It really helps you to understand his character and his life choices. It is intriguing to see the battle of control going on in his mind. Overall, I love this book a lot more than the original series.

Popsugar: A Book With Bad Reviews

The VowThe Vow follows the tragedy of a love. A chance meeting and a love sparked on the foundation of love is broken into shambles as quickly as the crash happened. With the loss of Krickitt's memory, Kim has no idea if his beloved wife will ever come to love him again. His only comfort is his faith, and even that is tested with his own injuries, the mounting medical bills, and putting his life on hold. Will they be able to help her walk again? Has Kim lost his marriage despite his love and faith? Or will God prove that miracles happen as long as you keep faith?

I went into this book excepting the story I had seen previewed in the movie; however, to that extent I was disappointed. This is a heart wrenching story of a marriage torn apart by disaster, but the true beauty of the story is that faith in God. The miracles of the night of the crash and the slow progress to healing is touching. This book leaves you questioning the strength of your faith and wondering what would you do if the one you loved didn't even believe they were married to you.

Popsugar: A Book Based on a True Story

Poison Princess by Kresley ColePoison Princess follows the story of Evie, how has started to have hallucinations that are vivid and scary. After spending the summer in a mental institution she is ready to get her life back on track;
however, a strange cast of characters show up at her high school. Reunited with her long term boyfriend, she finds herself wondering about the new bad boy, Jack, from the bayou. Soon, her visions start to come true and the world as everyone knows is wiped away, along with most of the human race. Voices are talking to her more and more. Why do they keep calling her the Princess? Can she get to her grandmother who holds all the answers? What happens when the bad boy rides in?

I have said it before and I will say it again, WHY IN THE WORLD DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS!!! Sorry for the shouty capitals (again), but this book was so amazing. We have all read a doomsday, post apocalyptic book; however, this is is different in every way. I loved the writing and the unique elements that are introduced into this book. I did take to one of the characters more than the other, but that may be because of the similarity to my fiance. I found myself not wanting to put this book down. I am itching to get my hands on the second book in this series.

Popsugar: A Book You Own But Have Never Read

The Color PurpleThe Color Purple throws you into Georgia during the 1930s and written in the form of letters. As time goes one Celie learns about love, hardship, religion, and the meaning of life. Throughout the book she explores her sexuality, what it means to believe in God, and what it is like to live as a colored person in that time period. From the bond with her sister, Nettie to her relationship with Shug to explores the world outside of male dominance and sexual abuse. Her inspiring story will help you to see what struggles she worked to overcome and her are view of religion changed along with it.

It may have taken some time to get through due to the writing style, but this book grew on me. It really spoke to me about the struggles and hardships that they would have had to face during that time. Racism, abuse, religion: all are topics that are controversial; however, Walker talks about them in a way that is open and easy to understand. It was an eye opening book with a very tender ending. Now I see why so many are required to read this in school.

Popsugar: A Pulitzer Prize-Winning Book

I feel like the month of August was a powerful reading month with the perfect balance of life changing reading and adventure. Many of these books I would recommend over and over again. Right now I am currently reading Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. What books did you read during the month of August? I would love to hear from you. Are any of the books I read ones that you love? Lets talk about them down below!

No comments