Currently Reading - Week 3

Hello, everyone! Welcome back to week three of reading here on my blog! It was a slow reading week for me; however, I did manage to finish up another book for my reading challenge. Let's see what I am reading at the moment.



This year, I have decided to participate in the 2017 Popsugar Reading Challenge. In 2015, I completed and loved the challenge; however, last year I fell off the wagon a little bit and never finished. This year there are 40 regular prompts and 12 advanced prompts. For the last few weeks of December, I spent a lot of time on a spreadsheet compiling ideas and purchasing books to fill out this list to ensure success. Moving into the new year, I decided to change the format of my reviews from monthly to weekly as well as the content included. I want to really improve my reviews and there structure throughout. With that, I will not be able to hold back as much information as usual; therefore, I want to warn you that after the overview section (it will be marked) you may encounter spoilers.

Completed Books:

Frozen (Heart of Dread #1)
Melissa de la Cruz and Michael Johnston
Fantasy, YA, Dystopian, Science Fiction
PSRC - A book recommended by a librarian
Rating - 3/5

Overview - In a world devastated by war and now covered in Ice, survival is cut throat. Food is scarce, water is a delicacy, and anything outside of the normal is executed. The Ice brought about mythical legends said to carry powers, their skin marked and the physical appearance different from the rest. With everything covered in ice, New Vegas still manages to thrive on lust and greed. Natasha Kestal narrowly escaped with her life, now she has to find a way out before they are able to discover her. Working as a blackjack dealer to buy her time, Ryan Wesson seems to be her only hope to escape to The Blue, the promised land where the shine still shines and the food isn't as hard to come by. With the voice in her head leading her, she is determined to escape before they find out who she really is.
Her clear tiger eyes--hazel green with golden pupils--told the world she carried a mark on her skin, one that she kept hidden, one that was shaped like a flame and hurt like a burn, right above her heart. The reason she was imprisoned, the reason they wanted her to do as she was told.
The world was always ending. The point was to survive whatever came next. 
Plot - Set in parts of what is left of the US after disasters have ruined the planet with toxins and ice, it paints a vivid picture of the extremes the world could be facing. With short chapters, the pace was quick and the action kept things moving along nicely.; however, the overall concept and everything going on was very jumbled. It was such a strange mismatch of so many things. The book takes things in modern society to the extreme, such as the use of text language having replaced literacy in New Vegas. Also taken to the extreme is the "trashberges" floating around the ocean and piled as high as skyscrapers in the wastelands.

Characters - I found the wide cast of characters really helped me to like the story more. They were easy to connect with. I found myself actually wanting them to survive and becoming upset when certain events took place. She even managed to make me loathe a few of the characters as well.

Conclusion - I good solid three stars for me. It wasn't the best thing I have read. Like I mentioned, I had trouble with feeling like she was just throwing concepts at a wall to see what would stick. The pace is what really helped me to stay on track and reading the book. It was easy to read and follow along with. It was very action packed. I had no idea that the end would be what it is. Even though it is clear that the story continues, I do believe it left off in a very good place. I am not sure I will be rushing to read the other books, but I did enjoy this one. (Thanks, Jamie.)

Currently Reading:

Outlander (Outlander #1)
Diana Gabaldon
Historical Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Time Travel
PSRC - A book that's more than 800 pages
Rating -

Overview - Claire Randall, a previous combat nurse, has been reunited with her husband in the British Isles. On a second honeymoon to explore and ignite their marriage after a time away, Claire decides to show Frank one of the attractions of standing stones. Going back to find a particular plant she found interesting, Claire is thrown 200 years into the past. Finding herself an outlander, or "Sassenach" in a Scotland torn by war, she is forced to recall the history Frank had drudged on about to help save herself and find her way back to him. Thrown into the time of lairds, spies, and turmoil, she has to do the best she can to blend in and survive without others finding out who she is and where she comes from.


Power Your Happy: Work Hard, Play Nice & Build Your Dream Life
Self-Help, Nonfiction, Autobiography, Memoir
PSRC - A book with career advice
Rating - 

Overview - Founder of Popsugar, Lisa Sugar, talks about finding her path to the career that she loves. With tips on how to figure out what it is you love to do, how to get the job you want, and what business owners are looking for, it is an inspirational book on building the life you want. Power Your Happy is a wonderful tool to evaluate where you are in your career. It is easy to use her advice to better guide you to the job that makes you happy with ideas and encouragement along the way. It is all about how to make the best of the situation you are in while looking ahead to where you want to be. Whether one year, two years or five years ahead, this book will give you the instructions you need to guide you to the career path you want.

What have you been reading this week? I would love to know what you are currently reading.

No comments