That Sudden Overwelming Feeling

Clinical Depression is defined as a major mood disorder that causes feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and frustration that may interrupt every day life for days or weeks on end. It is not uncommon to find reoccurring depression symptoms in several generations of a family tree. With enough research, you can find a long line of depression within some families. If it is something hereditary, how can it be overcome? Many people view this topic differently. From therapy to medicine, there seems to be a strong difference of opinion on that subject matter.

I spent years carrying this image around because it was the
best description of how I felt.



I was diagnosed with clinical, reoccurring depression as an adolescent. I was soon placed on medication, several in fact that only made it worse. I finally found a medicine that helped me. I took the medication for several years thinking that I had no other choice. Something was said to me and I became determined to never touch the medication again. Still till this day, the words are stuck in my mind. "What, were you trying to kill yourself?" My condition and medicine was used against me. It was wielded like a dagger. I took myself off of the medicine and rarely touched it again.

Many describe depression as being out of their control. I have read research showing that only 50% of happiness is predetermined. That leaves 50% that can be changed. I became determined to change mine. Do I still struggle? All the time, but I wake up and decide to be happy. I find a reason to hang on to a smile and I do it. I may not always be able to do it for myself; however, I use those around me to encourage me. Being depressed is not something that I would wish on anyone. But sometimes it takes thinking about others above yourself to come out of it.

Tips to overcoming the overwhelming doom hanging over your head:

  • Keep a journal of how you are feeling from day to day.
  • Let go of your past and the things you cannot change.
  • Keep a food journal. Some foods have been known to increase symptoms.
  • Wake up each day and find one thing to be happy about and one thing to be thankful for. Try not to repeat items.
  • Get fresh air and exercise. Working out is known to increase endorphines, those feel good chemicals in the brain.
  • Smile. Even if you don't feel like it, fake it till you make it.
  • Find a hobby. Do something you enjoy that keeps you busy.
  • Spend more time with others that encourage you and uplift you.
  • Hug someone. You never know when someone else needs that hug just as much as you do.
  • Do something kind for someone else. It will make you feel needed and wanted which will fight the feelings that are threatening to overwhelm you.
If you are someone suffering from depression, or someone you love is suffering from depression, reach out to others. You are not alone nor do you ever have to face it alone. Know that your life has value and meaning above anything that you could imagine. Talk to someone and seek help any way that you can. If you have any tips or tricks please feel free to leave them in the comments below.

No comments